Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FISHFINDERS
Aloha everyone, Im a newbie to kayaking. Basically Im going to be kayaking in the local bays and harbors in California.for spotted bay bass and halibut. Jus t wondering if someone had any suggestions on a small lightweight fishfinder for me to purchase for my kayak. I Want something thats simple to use but effective for the bays. I would really appreciate some suggestions from you experts. Mahalo to you all!
[signature]
Any finder will do. I suggest getting one that is rated for at least 2x the depths you plan on fishing. Small and simple is good on a yak. Height of display gives more detail and seperation, width gives more history and longer to see what is on the screen.

I have my transducer mounted on a PVC tube that I can swing up out of the way when I need to. I use a small sealed motorcycle battery for power.

Mounting a straight plate or board in front of the cockpit makes a good place to mount the finder, GPS and a rod holder. Do some searches, you'll come up with pleny of ideas.
[signature]
[cool] HEY TROLL THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO ON THE FISHFINDER. THE BOARD FOR MOUNTING THE FISHFINDER SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA BECAUSE YOU COULD PROBABLY MOUNT OTHER GADGETS ALSO. IT SEEMS LOGICAL. DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS BY MOUNTING YOUR TRANSDUCER TO A PVC PIPE? I THINK I WILL BE GOING WITH EITHER A EAGLE 300 OR A HUMMINBIRD PIRANHAMAX FISHFINDER BUT I WAS TOLD THE EAGLE WILL WITHSTAND SALTWATER ABUSE BETTER THAN THE HUMMINBIRD. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW YOUR OPINION BETWEEN THE TWO. MAHALO AND GOOD FISHING!
[signature]
Hey there i have had an eagle on my yak for the last 3 years with no damage from the saltwater, I use it in the ocean and rivers on the west coast. I have been happy with my eagle. but on my big boat I have a Pirhana and I like both, eagle is good size for yaks though
[signature]
Hey neighbor. You can't go wrong with the Eagle Cuda. You can mount the hull mount transducer in the bottom of the Yak. You should get many happy years out of it.

If you are going for the Spotties, it sounds like you are down in San Dawg area. Imperial Beach is one of the better spots to fish them down there. You can also hit the local harbors. I'm sure you already found a few places that you are comfortable with.

Good luck and feel free to give some reports when you have the chance.[cool]
[signature]
I bought a hummingbird 160 and I like it a lot. I bought a portable version and the transducer attaches to the side of the yak with a suction cup. the finder is in its own water resistant case at all times, the front unzips and rolls back offering some dampness protection. I did not have to drill holes, cut the yak or do anything to the yak. In fact, I have two kayaks - and I can use it in either one or take it anywhere else for that matter. It has a small battery and its a very good set up. You will need to strap it down to the yak but the case it comes in and is mounted in has strap clips... for $160 bucks its not too pricey and bass pro shops has it too. [url "http://store.humminbird.com/products/307288?product_id=9a227e41f7c7b06723b944d951b4293a"]http://store.humminbird.com/products/307288?product_id=9a227e41f7c7b06723b944d951b4293a[/url]
[signature]
[quote tubeN2]Hey neighbor. You can't go wrong with the Eagle Cuda. You can mount the hull mount transducer in the bottom of the Yak. You should get many happy years out of it.

If you are going for the Spotties, it sounds like you are down in San Dawg area. Imperial Beach is one of the better spots to fish them down there. You can also hit the local harbors. I'm sure you already found a few places that you are comfortable with.

Good luck and feel free to give some reports when you have the chance.[cool][/quote]

I agree completely. Can't go wrong with the ol' Eagle and the inside hull mounted transducer!
[signature]
I have a Piranha (sp?) mounted on my sit-on-top kayak, with the transducer inside the hull. It works well, but doesn't stand up well to salt water. I had to replace the cabling after leaving it connected to the battery overnight following an excursion at Cape Cod. I don't know if any other fish finders would fare better, but the Piranha works well, and is as simple to use as any other on the market. Perhaps a quick freshwater rinse and disconnecting the battery would have saved the cables, but they are readily available, and fairly inexpensive.
[signature]