Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Sticks?
I've got a random question for everyone. I love to fish more than just about anyone else I know, (I'm sure many of you can say the same thing), but oddly enough I can't stand to eat them. I don't mind mild fish like halibut or walleye etc, but trout is more than I can stomach, and salmon is even worse. It doesn't bother me because I like to catch and release anyway, but I was just wondering if I'm just wierd or if there are others like me out there.
[signature]
I would much rather a walleye than a trout. I very rarly keep a rainbow because they just taste bland to me. But i love brookies, and salmon. My favorite way is just to grill them and crumble them on a salid.

Oh almost forgot I will eat any trout thats been smoked. I will eat that stuff tell you can smell the smoke coming out of my pours.
[signature]
brook trout is about the only trout i like.if you take a steelhead or salmon fillet it and cut into peices..then soak it in milk..it will take away the fishy taste that we dont like..then batter and fry it..you cant tell its trout..
[signature]
I like brookies too if they are under about 10 inches or so. I've never heard of soaking it in milk before, how long do you have to soak it for?
[signature]
just overnite..you can dilute the milk with a little watter so you dont use so much..
[signature]
I love perch, bluegill, and crappie. On trout it depends. If it is a trout caught in cold water and then properly baked or grilled they can be good. On the other hand if they are stockers I can't stand them. I do love salmon.

One thing you might think about is how fresh the salmon is. The longer it has been in the store or freezer the more fishy it tastes.

I worked in Alaska for three summers and developed a love of fresh salmon.

Like others have said, trout or salmon smoked is awesome.

Windriver
[signature]
i'm with you windriver the water the trout was caught out of makes a huge diffrence. cold clear streams give alot better trout than a hot water res.
[signature]
I think you could just about smoke any fish and it would taste great! I have eaten pounds of Stripers cooked that way. If you don't like fishy fish try them smoked!
[signature]
Yea I aquired a taste for salmon when I lived in AK for 5yrs. I can't get enough of it now...I agree with the guys who smoke these fish, it tastes great. Stocked rainbows I won't eat anymore unless I'm camping and hungry. Then I fry the crap out of'em so they just taste like chicken[sly].
I didn't like red wines untill I lived in Europe for 5yrs either. Now I really enjoy a good wine with pasta & Fish.

I hate fishy tasting fish if that makes any sense. I did find that if you skin trout, salmon steelhead and cut the dark line/pattern along the underside of the skin off, you will lose the fish slime taste. It's all in the way you prepare the fish and cook it. Some fish it just doesn't matter, like Halibut for example. Halibut will taste like whatever you put on it. You really don't have to worry too much about preparing perch, crappie & other whitefish in those catagories I think that's why people prefer them. I love a fresh Steelhead fillet on the grill with some melted butter, dill, garlic & honey. I'm starting to like steelhead better than salmon[Wink]
[signature]
I also worked in a fish cannery in Alaska and up untill that time I enjoyed fish. But needless to say after going through tons of fish it's just not the same. and to top it off I cut myself while I was there, and got a type of blood poisoning. Ever since I have an allergic reaction to some types of fish ? I thought that I was crazy but I had a doctor tell me that I was hyper sensitive from over exposure? Strange thing I caught some Burbot this winter, cooked it up,it was better than any fish that I had ever tasted, till I couldnt get air!!! Turns out Burbot is fresh water cod. Cod being one of the worst for allergy's. I still like the taste of fish but am a bit hesitant about eating any as you can imagine. I am turning into a C&R guy even as much as I would like to fry some up at times.
[signature]
Man that stincks. I have a friend who used to go with me crayfish trapping and he found out he's alergic to schell fich now so I'm out on my own. It kills him because he loves the tase of crayfish. I have been lucky so far and hope I never get an alergy to something I really enjoy[unimpressed]
[signature]
I remember you posting about that Laroo. I have a uncle who had a similar experience with them, walleye also do it to him.
[signature]
ive goto agree with you on the steelhead fillet..there great on the grill or baked in the oven..i put butter lemmon pepper and onions..some timesa touch of garlic..we usually have it for dinner once a week..
[signature]
i picked up some cedar planks last night and want to cook some up for mothers day. Anyone know a good recipe for a plank?
[signature]
ok, I don't like to eat fish, but I have to say that I think wood would be even worse[Wink]
[signature]
lol i just reread that i guesse it did look like i am planning on eating some cedar. Its the planks that you soak and put on the grill (with your steelhead filet on top) and sense you soaked the plank it smokes rather than buring and gives the fish a smoked taste.
[signature]
[laugh] I figured you meant something like that. That sounds cool, I think I'll have to try that sometime.
[signature]
I enjoy eating fish most the time. However, trout that is a white meat I have not been all that fond of. If it's a pink meat fish then I think those are great, especially the steelhead and salmon. Now I don't mind the other white meat fish (that I've tried) like perch, bass, walleye, etc. But those that are around this area have managed to elude me, at least in large enough size and numbers for me to feel ok harvesting them. If crappie ever takes off around I.F. or the perch in Roberts ever get to OK size then it will be a fish feast!
[signature]
i hear ther pretty god on the back side maybe you could let your mom try that..make sure you have the vidio camera..
[signature]
Yea I would like to have it once a week but I'm trying to savor what I've got left for steelhead. We do have fish at least once a week though, I had the family in AK last summer and we stocked up[Wink]
[signature]