Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using a dropper
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Casting a dry with a nymph dropper can be a bit tricky so as not to have both flies creating a mess.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]So what technique do you employ to prevent such a disaster?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I prefer to tie the dropper off the eye of the anchor or DRY. I will go 12" to 18" on rivers and stillwater up to 5'.
The trick is slightly side arm and slow down your cast. Make loops a little larger.
[signature]
Tying the nymph tippet to the bend of the hook helps prevent that from happening but when you bend the barb down for catch and release you can occasionally loose the nymph and the tippet off the hook. A novice fly fisherman will probably find this method easier to cast and less troublesome.

Using a stiffer tippet material for the nymph will help also. some tippet material is quite supple and others more stiffness. More supple tippet should mean more "natural" movement of the fly but stiffer material means I spend less time unravelling and more time fishing.

It just boils down to what your prefer to do and probably not much more than that, either way.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]So is your casting stroke the same as with or without a dropper?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Not mine.
[signature]
Like what Fly Goddess says.

When it is two nymphs instead of a dry fly then it is a whole lot different. I use several different casts

When it is a big dry fly and two nymphs then the loop is openned a significant amount and the cast is not as far. Then there is more time resting from casting while I untangle the three flies.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]How about when one adds some shot?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Definitely cast to the side slightly...LOL Avoid contact with the tip of the rod and in that case again...SLOW DOWN and OPEN THE CASTING LOOP.

Rushing with split shot leads to broken tips.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Oh yea - whenever I have a lot of jewelery at the end of my line to the side I go. Catching my lip or worse is no fun - so they say.[Image: yell.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]