Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presque Bay Lake Erie Fishing
Me and my dad went to presque bay last friday and saturday for smallmouth. We had a great time! in those two days we boated around 150 bass! Thats not including all the fish that jumped 4 feet out of the water and threw the hook. We were getting most of our bass on a 3" green pumpkin/chartruce blended grub. We went through 3 packs of 15. We had many short strikes where they would just grab the tail of the grub and bite it right off. Out of all the smallmouth i ever caught before i think that the lake Erie brusers were the hardest fighting. I dont know if thats because they are an open water fish or not but they sure were fun to try and get to the boat! My arm hurt till tuesday from them bad boys. We decided to make this trip an annual event this time of year. The smallmouth come in the bay around the end of April and leave around the end of july not to be seen till the next spring. If you get up there right before they get on the beds when they are cruising the flats that is the best time when they are the most aggressive. I think me and my dad hit it right on the money! Check out the pictures below of some of the fish we got which were all released.
[signature]
Some good looking fish you two caught there[Image: bobwink.gif] How were you working the grubs?
[signature]
I would take a black 1/8oz jig head and thread the grub on as you normally would and then i would cast it out let it sink and drag it on the bottom just fast enough for the tail to twirl. also in deeper water 4ft + I would just swim the bait about 10 or 12 inches off the bottom and that produced alot of strikes to. and when we fished the weeds i would just tickle the tops of them with the jig. That was a little more difficult due to the exposed hook. So i figured that i would use a 2/0 or 1/0 worm hook and rig it weedless with a 1/8oz bullet slip sinker on the front of it for that. Well i did not get a hit on it, thats weird. The moment i rigged up the jig again i got me some more fish. It pays to play around a little sometimes, you never know what those crazy fish will do.
[signature]