Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel Candy Blue and White Marlin Update
[font "Calibri"] It really makes a Captain’s job so much easier when you have a group of guys along for two full days that really understand and appreciate offshore, big-game fishing. Let’s face it, it’s not constant, action packed chaos all day long. If I told you it was, you know I was lying.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] We had the pleasure of fishing Pat Roth, Jeff Baloun, Marty Walker, and Cletus O’Brien from Melbourne Beach and Vero Beach, Fl aboard the Island Candy; under sunny skies and calm seas for a change. These guys were simply top notch, world class fisherman who have been pursuing the elusive marlin for a great many years. They have all fished many different places around the world, but have not been able to meet that Marlin face to face. No worries, were fishing in the Abacos, Mon…[/font]
[font "Calibri"] Day one started off kind of slow. Heavy scattered grass kept my mate working hard for the first two hours. The water color was off, so we decided to head a bit further offshore. Jackpot!! The left rigger pops, with a huge boil behind the bait. Problem was however, the drag was quiet. I started a slow turn to put my bridge rod in a position to follow up and let the bait sink a bit. Bam ! Blue Marlin on!![/font]
[font "Calibri"] Pat Roth was up on the rod and earned it on the stand up tackle. He fought the 200 lb fish for about 45 minutes before getting him on the leader. Pat does a lot of near shore fishing for Dolphin and Wahoo off Florida, but I can tell you this, his face lit up when he finally saw face to face what was on the other end of his line. We were able to bring the fish alongside the boat for a couple quick pictures before a healthy release. Once again, high fives all around and a happy charter group! We finished out the day with another Blue Marlin in the spread and several thick Mahi in the box. Goumbay Smashes at the pool bar and fresh Mahi dinner at the Abaco Beach Resort Diner, then off to bed in preparation for day two.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] The grass was much worse on day two. No matter where we turned the boat, grass littered our spread. We saw a huge Blue Marlin (700 plus lbs) free-jumping about 200 yards away and headed the boat in that direction. Once we got in the general area, we saw that a long edge had formed. We raised a small Blue Marlin that kind of played around with both flat positions until finally pulling drag off the left flat. Then he came off and disappeared. The area looked promising, so we worked it for about an hour or so with no luck.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] The time came when we needed to head the boat back towards the dock and we began trolling towards South Man O’ War. Once again, the long bridge rod pops and we begin to dump the line and feed it. There is no doubt though that this fish has eaten. We locked up the drag and came tight on a nice White Marlin. Jeff Baloun was next in line for a Billfish and worked the fish like a professional. Within a short time, Jeff worked the White onto the leader for some great pictures. Both Pat and Jeff caught their first Marlin, a blue and white, respectively. They were extremely happy and even booked the “Reel Candy” for next year’s Bahamas Billfish Championship in Boat Harbour.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] Congrats to both of you on your first Marlin!! They did NOT take the plunge however only because of nasty lightening storms overhead, so keep your cell phones out of your pockets the next time you’re here and on the dock guys!!![/font]
[font "Calibri"] Friday, we have a Marlin Fishing Charter out of Treasure Cay aboard the Reel Candy that should be exciting. We will keep the updates coming.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]Tight Lines,[/font]
Kevin
[signature]