Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ledbetter Tournament Draws Top Bass Casters
Lincoln County angler Scott Beattie estimates he's won nearly $115,000 catching fish during his lifetime.

On March 8, he'll be angling for the one that always got away.

"I would consider [the Ledbetter Tournament] the largest amateur tournament in North Carolina, no doubt," said Beattie, 39. "It's not about the money. It's a matter of knowing we were the best on Lake Norman in 2008."

The Jim Ledbetter Memorial Team Bass Tournament near Mooresville is one of the most anticipated events around Lake Norman each year for 22 years.

It also features some of the best casters in Lincoln County.

"I would say nearly 25 percent of the entries are from Lincoln County," Beattie said.

It works to promote cancer research through the V Foundation. And this year, the largest purse in its history will go to the best team.

"The $30,000 boat, that's what I'm shooting for," Beattie said.

Since he was a kid, Scott and his father, Dwight, have fished nearly every cove and point on Lake Norman.

"Me and my dad went out nearly every Saturday," Beattie said.

Over time, he's seen the shoreline change along with the number of residential properties that have sprung up over the years.

"I can remember back in grammar school "¦ there was not one house on the south side of the lake near Goat Island," he said.

Beattie said as he's grown, he's ventured throughout North Carolina and the southeast casting off in the serene mornings on placid and running waters.

But Lake Norman remains a special body of water for Beattie.

Year after year, the pair worked to bring home the bass at one of the most competitive tournaments in the state. And this year is no different.

"We've been going at it for 15 years," he said. "It would mean a lot to me because we've never won it."

The father-son team will again launch their boat seeking first prize in the Ledbetter tournament. Maybe this year will be the year.

"I'm going to try," he said.