Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horseshoe
I wrote this thing in length yesterday. I have no idea where it went. I clicked something and poooof it was gone. I got pissed and quit. But today is different and the subject worth repeating. Last week the Horseshoe was flooded with cold water and not much was happening but with the availability of live squid last week-end we ventured to our favorite rock with a freshly made "chum-bucket" As we set up and anchored back we were invaded by acres of sardines which quickly got ravished on by giant calicos. Those "dines" found out that you do not swim over this rock if you value your existence. The water for 50 yards around our boat was white with boiling Bull Bass. During a period of about 10 minutes we caught 5-7 pound bass on any tackle handy. I threw a white sea bass tady that weighed 6 ounces(because I had it already to drop for sea bass) I didn't even retrieve for the first 4 bass, they grabbed it instantly as it splashed in. My cohorts threw live squid and also got bit on the splash. We ended up with limits of bass by 9:00AM. But as it always happens on the full moon they quit hitting and we didn't get a bass the rest of the day. The chum bucket was invaluable as it spurted junk all day. It was particularly effective when the initial onslaught was over and we had to do some serious fishing to keep the bite going. I am a true believer in a chum bucket. They keep the perch active which keeps the bass alert also. It's better than live bait chumming in that a bucket keeps on going. If the perch don't bite the bass don't either.I once used a small chum bucket tubing but after what I saw come up the chum line during a shark adventure I never again put a bucket in the water with my legs submerged.
[signature]

Hi gvanzant,

Thank you for the always informative reports. Sounds like the Calico Kid ......well actually that name's already taken.. you did it again at the Horseshoe.

Sounded like a good day.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey Japanron: They aren't always biting like that. It helps to find a good rock on the Horseshoe. This one is 95 feet deep and most always productive. You can always scratch something off of it. With the water warming and the bait everywhere the yellows can be expected. The harbor is full of baby mackerel perfect for the yellows. They're hard to get though and it's definately a night time deal. So it's break out the heavior test and flyline time.
[signature]
NOOOOOOOOO!!! you cant call anybody else that but me!!just kidding! haha..... the guys call me calico-joe on the boats. that and slow-mo-joe! I'm not that slow! haha

joe
[signature]