Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
muddler minnow
does anybody know how to tie the muddler minnow..the goby population around here has gotten very large and the fish are eating em up..i know the muddler minnow would be a very good imitation bot dont know how to tie it..thank you
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi lurtch - there are several videos available on Utube.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][url "http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=muddler+minnow&uni=1"]Muddler_Minnow_videos[/url]
[center][signature]
got it.thanks..nice thing is the material is pretty standard..i have alot of it..
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Glad that worked out for you. How about some pics of your Muddler Minnow when finished?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
no problem..probly somtime thi evening..gota find my size 4 long shank..i know i got em somewere..
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Speaking about looking for hooks, I solved this problem with a neat little plastic case that holds 24 small plastic boxes. Need to get another case as I have more hooks to store.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "hook box 005.jpg"]
[signature]
I suggest you check out Kelly Galloup You Tube. The DEER HAIR is more important than most people know. Some Deer hais is made for spinning and some not.
Check out this vid for the Zoo Cougar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWq95R0vv...EC&index=0

Get the hair down the rest is Turkey Feather and Mylar. Don't forget the Marabou Muddlers also.
[signature]
i think i got the right deer hair..the thing im trying to figure out is..i want to run this fly pretty close to the bottom and wondering if a sinking shooting head would get me there or should i ad lead wire wrap for weight..ill do this with my stone flys sometimes in the deeper faster runs..in short the boyancy of the deer hair scares me a little..
[signature]
If you wrap wire weight, you would have to do it in the middle of the hook due to the fact you can't spin deer hair on top of it very will.
Myself, I use a Type II or III line and a short 4' leader.
Muddlers are awesome fly, but I admit, I originally had the same concern.
I am thinking even split shot on a leader connected to floating line will get it in the zone. Nice thing about this fly is it does float. You can suspend it off the bottom, less snags.
[signature]
yea..ill try it first with the spey rod and heavy shooting head see how it works and go from there..the scalpion or goby hangs tight to the bottom..thats what i want to imitate..they have another patern with lead eyes might try that to..i think im gonna tye up both and try them out..
[signature]
Try using shorter leaders too! Like to see some pictures of the lead eye muddlers.
[signature]
i have three carrying cases that hold 4 boxes like that per case..i like to be mobile..whenever i find the hot pattern im always hours from home and only have one in the box..i get together with freinds and have tyeing sessions alot to..thats what im doing tommorrow..should have a pic for you by then..
[signature]
ill be at abuudys house tommorow tying ill do both..try to get you pics..
[signature]