Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catching catfish???
OK I keep seeing that when fishing catfish people say "you need to keep then alive, or on ice, or in cool water, ect" until you are going to skin/fillet or what ever. My question is why? I would never keep a fish on a dock in the sun for half the day and then clean and cook it ... but .... like when I trout fish why can't I just snap its neck to "quick kill" the fish and toss it in a creel (or in my case a plastic shopping bag) for an hour or so before I take it home to clean??? I don't have a bucket to keep it in water (nor do I want one if I don't need one) and I am not goot enough at catfishing to buy ice every time I go "just in case" I get one. In short can I just toss my, say 10" - 25" cat in a bag on the bank for about an hour,dead, and then head home to clean my catch? If not why?

thanks for your help

[fishin]
fish on
[signature]
i went to a lake with a friend and he got a 15 lbs cat and quick killed it and ate it a few days later, he froze it of course
[signature]
well im not sure if you could just toss it up on dock... but i use a stringer to keep it alive
[signature]
If I were to catch I would always quick kill, when I said "creel it" i meant dead, and not just slowly flopping and gasping. I was just concerned that not "keeping them in water" would some how be bad. is that the case so not??? I just dont get it

peace
jim
[signature]
Just like any type of food you don't want a dead fish lying in the sun for hours then eat it.

Either have a cooler with ice that you can put the fish in soon as caught or a stringer and keep them alive in the water until you leave.

If using the cooler method as long as you have ICE and it has not melted and become water they will stay fresh all day. If your ice melts you only have a hour or two before you need to discard the fish and not eat them.
[signature]
there's a reason they made creels. like, actual creels. the baskets you put in the water? it's because some fish turn to mush any other way. you put them in the creel, and put it in the water while it's secured to something. don't just buy a creel, not tie it to anything, and throw it in the water![fishin]
[signature]
We usually use a fish basket to keep they alive and fresh.
We usually use Lewis King Punch Bait or Big Marvs
Cheese bait.

[url "http://www.texasbasstackle.com"]www.texasbasstackle.com[/url]
[signature]
Put ice in the live well. They keep them nice and fresh all day. Dead fish raut very fast. We fish pay lakes and if one dies before we get home and clean it they are wasted meat.
[signature]
If hes big enough I give him a bottle of water and let him drive the boat to the next spot.
[signature]