Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jackpot
Can you top this? My old buddy Jed Welsh was fishing from a half day boat out of Los Angeles. He saw an angler place his rod on the rail to help someone with catching a live bait from the bait tank. Jed gasped in horror as the Loomis rod with a Pro Gear reel launched into space and into the ocean. We're talking an outfit more than $500.00 in the "deep six". Jed and the other anglers made every effort to snag the outfit with a variety of large treble hooks, jigs and sinkers but alas they all drew blanks, the rod and reel was gone! One hour later some angler on the other side of the boat lifts the rod and reel and the owner reels in an 8 pound calico and wins a $200.00 Jackpot. <br><br>George Van Zant<br><A HREF="http:// www.bigfishtackle.com/georgescorner.htm " target="_new">http:// www.bigfishtackle.com/georgescorner.htm </A><br>
Absolutely killer story George. Nothing better than an excellent ending to what sounds like a great day of fishing. <br>Nice Calico too.....<br><br>Similar story , I took a greenhorn friend of mine out on the water for the first time out of Long Beach Sportfishing as part of Dan Butler's Fishing Academy. As you know it's somewhat and at times extremely intimidating getting on a boat and looking around at some of the arsenals and the folks that have the "Im gonna put it to you look on there face". My friend learns the skills necessary to start casting on his own. Still a bit gun-shy, he cruises up to the port side by his lonesome so he didn't piss anyone off and starts casting for cudda. He's thinking damn these dudes don't have anything on me. Really starts winding up and coming into some distance. Next cast was a little heavier because he had hooked someone elses setup and lauched it! THE ENTIRE SET-UP, so he looks up and down the rails and only one gentleman saw him and gave him the "I wont roll over on you look". He informed the captain and together decided wait till the end of the trip to be a buzz kill on the guy who's gear you tossed. Brewing over what kind of money he just tossed overboard he started in on a for sure catch with 12 oz. curls in the galley. Long story short, he found the guy who lost his gear and luckily the guy was stand up enough to claim it was only a 80 dollar set-up. In return he gave the gent a $180 combo and the guy picked up his $42.00 beer tab and a fishing friend for life. <br><br>Kharma<br><br>Booyaa To Ya'!<br><A HREF="http://www.fishingclothes.com " target="_new">http://www.fishingclothes.com </A> <br>Romero
years ago when i was a deckhang on the grande a sportfisher out of 22nd st landing in CA. we were out at san clemente island fishing a bluefin tuna bite that was a little slow this yokel gets tired of standing at the rail set his rod down with his flylined chovie still in the water and takes a seat on the "ialand" in the center of the deck next thing you know his poles heads over the side this guy takes a flying dive over the side right after it and gets ahold of it ! so he's in the water fighting this tuna he manages to swim to the side of the boat were we had pulled the gate hands up his rod we pulled him aboard ( not easy as high a water line as this boat had ) hand him back his rod and goes on to bring a 30# plus bluefin to gaff CRAZY !
[signature]

Hi

I took my brother out on a fullday fishing trip out of Newport Landing
He and his work buddies worked on a 280 ZX I bought from a friend. A stolen recovery car. oh brother!! It was early in the season and alot of the boats were heading to Catalina. After a hot breakfast burrito, and a 2 hour ride, we got to the first fish hole. We had alot of good sardines for bait.
Everyone was going to the bottom,so I decided to yo-yo some iron. A green mack color n chrome Krocodile It wasn't long and buzzzzzzzzzz.
Fish on!!!! It took me from the side of the boat to the other. I thought it was time to bring him in. Noooooo! I hear this crack and my reel stops. I look down and my Penn reel spool has cracked in half. I bought this reel from a
buddy and used it often with no problems. I was lucky that the fish was played out and had to hand line him the rest of the way in.
The deckhand gaffed him and he ws mine. I showed my brother my reel and it crumbled in my hands. Wow!!! The side plates cracked and fell apart. So much for my plastic lime green Penn reel. It was ok!! I ended up with a 20 lb Yellowtail, and the jackpot for the day. 2nd weekend a row for jackpot and a yellowtal.
That was my last trip fishing Southern Cal. Its been 5 years,and I'm soooo ready for a fishhhh on!!!
Chum-bucket
[signature]
hi hank welcome to the site and thanks for the story lucky for you that fish was played out our he would have tore your hands a new one hand lining it like you did i too soooo miss the ocean while we do have the great salt lake here in utah there not a single fish in it !!
[signature]
That is a good story and I had something like that happen to me on a local boat out of seaforth fish landing in quavara basin, Mission Bay San Diego.

We were out on a party boat and one of my rods were secured where it ought to have been in the rod holder on the side of the pilot house. A marine hooked my nice rod and penn 950? reel and chucked it over the side and at first did not admit it to anyone. I was lucky and a guy saw him do it and told me about it. I played a little military with the guy because I was a E-6 at the time and he was a E-2 and I let him know that if he did not pay up I would contact his CO. Well, he was really apologetic and paid for my rig after 2 pay checks! You do not get paid much as a E-2. If he would have admitted it, to begin with, I would have forgiven him and not had him pay but he lied and tried to cover it up and that made me a little hot under the collar.
[signature]
i almost did that to one of my rod and reels today wasn't watching what i was doing and snaged it while casting with another pole luckly it landed half in and half out of the water
[signature]