Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it make scents?
I consider myself an avid fisherman, I read a lot, fish a lot, experiment with everything out there, I even have my own tackle company! but today I was asked a question that I could not answer. "What scent is on Powerbait plastics?"
I was stumped and dumbfounded and left not knowing and that bothers me [mad] I know that bass can smell pheromones, taste and smell amino acids, anise, garlic, etc. but what is on the Powerbait plastics that makes them hold on to it? To me it smells bad and nothing like a natural smell but who would have thought that a coffee scent would work[crazy]. Anybody have any insight on what is on Powerbait plastics?
[signature]
Probably some type of pheromones would be my guess. I've had powerbait plastics in my mouth thousands of times and I cant taste anything.

Have you looked on Berkley's website?
[signature]
Hey the stuff stinks. What ever is in that stink is what the fish want. A couple years ago a guy I was fishing with put just a plain gray and white sickly looking plastic gulp minnow on and just slammed one after another Large Mouth Bass. I put one on the hook and did the same. There are times and places and fish where the bait rocks. Just have to have them in the tackle box. Dont need to really know what it is in the bait. Just have to bust it out and try it. I hope they dont raise the price.
[signature]
[quote rippnlips]I've had powerbait plastics in my mouth thousands of times and I cant taste anything.[/quote]

Huh?[crazy]

Actually, I can't say anything. I occasionally use banana smelly jelly for lip balm![Wink]
[signature]
I think any kind of an appealing scent doesn't have to necessarily be a familiar scent to the fish of the presentation, size, and color of the lure is taken into account. However, the folks at Berkeley have put alot of study into which fish oil scents are particularly favorited by different species. I think it is noticable that the scents in all of the jigs, dough baits, and creature baits has a very similar smell... and it isn't pleasant. There may be minor differences in the formulation, but I believe that the fish oils they use are very similar and appeal to any fish.
[signature]