Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Idaho
Wanted to pop in here and say hi to all the members. I'm going to be moving to the Mountain home area in under a month! The wife, two labs, and I will be driving from Alaska. I've done a bunch of fishing up here but I can't wait to be able to catch warm water fish again. We hunt, fish, hike, and paddle.
[signature]
Welcome, lived in Mountain Home for two years now in Boise. You Air Force? I'm retired AF.
[signature]
[quote Wombat911] I'm going to be moving to the Mountain home area in under a month! [/quote]

Lucky man![Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome. It is nice to know someone form the area is on this forum. I was AF but I got out about a year ago due to an injury. My wife just made SSgt. so she will be sewing on after a while. Must be nice to be retired in Idaho, lucky you.
[signature]
I retired out of Malmstron in Mt and took a civ job at Mountain Home AFB teaching combat tactics for awhile now I work for the Police Dept in Boise. But yes it is great. I miss Mt but Idaho is nice to.
[signature]
Idaho looks like an amazing place. If not better than Alaska. How is the crime in mountain home? From what I have found on the net there isn't much but I figured you would know a little more seeing as you are from the area. Do you have any good tips about the area? Thanks
[signature]
Crime is not to bad, a lot of punk kids doing stupid things. Do not leave things unlocked. Not much for places to eat, there is a couple of nice good places. Walmart is about the only place to shop. The base is 13 miles away and Boise is 40. For fishing and hunting it is a bit of a drive 30-40 min. Mountian Home is high desert. It is usally hotter and colder there. A lot of dust there. Schools are ok. There are two gyms in town but the base is the best one. Houses run about the same as Boise. Renting is a little more pricey then Boise. Any other questions let me know.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I did have a few more questions. What is the drive like between mt home and Boise? I have a possible job there. What game are available to hunt within an hour or so drive? I saw on a web site that Idaho is open carry friendly. It appears to be legal but is it encouraged or has there been some objection to it? I'll try not to ask too many more questions.
[signature]
As far as hunting deer (muley and whitetail, elk, proghorn, bear, turkey, pheasant duck geese. The drive is all interstate. It can get a little bad in winter but your used to that. as far as open carry you do not see it in cities and towns but it is easy to get concelled permit. Don't woory about the questions at all.
[signature]
You don't need a cc permit up here. I'm going to put in for an Idaho cc permit. That is a lot of game to chase. I didn't realize that the animals shared alot of the same ranges. I downloaded the hunting and fishing regs today to get some info put to memory by the time I get down there. What are the average shooting distances for big game in the area? It seems it would be in the tripe digits.
[signature]
Depends if you hunt open range or woods on the range,
[signature]
I usually hunt the east side of the state, but most my shots on deer and big game have been 50-150yds, w/ a few closer. However if you hunt open range it could easily be 300+. Don't forget the fishing either. You'll have CJ strike just south of you from Mt. Home and I hear it's good for waterfowl hunting in the fall.
[signature]
Thanks. I havn't overlooked CJ Strike. It will be one of the first places I go. I'm just trying to get a general overview of the area. A little more than two weeks left before the move!
[signature]