Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly rod needs repair
Ok had a little mishap today with my flyrod. The reel seat came off from the rod. What glue would I use to repair this? Thanks!
[signature]
What brand of rod is it ? It may have a life time warranty and can be send to the manufacture for replacement.

If you dont want to send it off a good epoxy will work Try Flexcoat 5 minute epoxy or Rod builders epoxy.

Or if you can take it to the service desk at Sportmans they will fix it for a small fee.
[signature]
It is a custom made GX806
[signature]
Generally a two part epoxy for rods. Flex coat I think.
[signature]
Is that a W.W. Griggs ? Hmm not sure what the warranty on the Griggs blank is. If you want it professional fixed getting in touch with a customer rod builder. Or use epoxy and try to align it your self. Id send them an email see what your options are

contact us at: [url "mailto:wwgrigg@aol.com"]wwgrigg@aol.com[/url] [font "Verdana,Arial"][size 1]

W.W. Grigg, LLC
2000 SE 4th Ave.
Canby, OR 97013
Ph. 503-651-1700
Fax 503-651-1777
[/size][/font]
[signature]
Can't swear to it, but I had a W.W.Griggs awhile back that broke but no warranty. But then the rod was $29.
This one at $56. I am betting has no warranty either, but this is a factory defect.
Probably cost more to send it back then to fix it yourself.
I repaired several reel seats in my time, and I am no rod builder, but I know you want to make sure you have more glue at the end than at the front, so when you slide it on, it spreads the glue and you don't end up with a big glob. Plus tape is good on the threads.
[signature]
I sent them an email. I purchased it in 1994 from Anglers Inn so probably no warranty. [crazy] I may just take it to Sportsmans and see what they can do in their shop.
[signature]
I feel your pain I had the same thing happen to me on a Redington rs3. The reel seat started to turn then eventually came off. I started to worry since the rod had been discontinued I sent them an email and they exchange me out a new rs4 rod [Wink]
[signature]
That was nice![cool]
[signature]
From reading there web site:

Our warranty is a limited lifetime warranty, which means it covers workmanship and material defects. If your rod has suffered severe abuse, that's ok, we will work with you to get you back fishing.

20 bucks for S&H and it says they will repair or replace.
I'd also give them a call like mention earlier I didn't think Redington was going to fix my rod and ended up with a new rod... Worth a try you might get a new rod out of it [cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
Shipping will be more expensive than 5 or 20 minute Epoxy and it is really easy to Fix.
[signature]
This is absolutely an at home fix. I have done 4 or 5 of them. The key is to scuff up the inside of the reel seat so the epoxy has something to stick to. Also, use 30 minute epoxy. It will last much longer than 5 min. This fix will not void a warranty either.

Cheech
[signature]
Absolutely. One day versus Days to shipping it back, having them fix then send it back.

It is basically fool proof ....really. I mean if CHEECH can do it, anyone can[laugh]
As far as the 5 min. or 30 min. I use the 5 and it has been fine, what about the 30 makes it a better choice?
[signature]
Didnt relize it was 50 dollar rod spending 20 + shipping & handling in my book dosent really make sense. For the price of shipping you can pick up some flexcoat epoxy and fix it your self.
[signature]
EPOXY IT!!![Wink][Wink][Wink]

I agree with whoever said to use the longer drying epoxy, it will last longer and provide a better hold.

-Rich
[signature]
Is this stuff sold at Lowes or Homedepot?
[signature]
As far as the Flexcoat brand goes I doubt it its found in hardware store but i could be wrong its generally found in angling & rod building stores. I know Cabelas sells it Sportmans might.

Epoxy in general can be found in Lowes & Home Depot not sure if there a difference between regular 2 part epoxy and the Flexcoat brand. Maybe someone else can chime in but I would imagine a good 2 part epoxy will do the trick or there always Gorilla glue that stuff will bond just about anything just got to be careful it doesn't foam out the top.
[signature]
I am not sure either sin and my old man does build and I will be this fall and winter.
I say any epoxy that is waterPROOF not resistant, would work.
I think way more is being made out of a simple process.
I fixed the Orvis ones with Flexcoat and Zap-A Gap and in 5 years, non came back.
[signature]
mojo rods are da bomb !!!!
[signature]
I agree with you FG on using a water proof epoxy. I generally used the Fexcoat brand just because it was branded more toward rod building simple fix glue and fish Tight Lines [cool][cool][cool]
[signature]