Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall SteelHead Run
Well didnt think there were any trout fisherman on the PA forum but I shall try and ask to see on here since the main one told me I should try it. So yah just wondering if anyone knows a good time/month day to fish for the steels un in erie?

Let me know thanks[fishin]
[signature]
I dont do it but alot of my friends go up for those guys. I know that the fish start to run towards the end of October depending if the water is high enough. And they go up clear into december. Im not the one to ask this but its a start lol.
[signature]
[quote bigpikeguy] I know that the fish start to run towards the end of October depending if the water is high enough. And they go up clear into december.[/quote]

Yah thats what i heard about the water being high. Erie got a ton of water this year and from what I read its highest its been in years so didnt know if they will be early this year or do they run almost all at the same time of year and what not.
[signature]
They run the same time every year. If the water is not high enough they just pile up at the mouth of the rivers. Alot of people will stand on the beach of the lake and surf fish for them when they do this.
[signature]
Also wondering if steels have the same size and creel limit as rainbow trout? I know they are the same fish, one is just aclimated to salt. But what I dont know if its regulated different. Any info would help. THanks in advance.
[signature]
well researching it and they will start as early as mid sept for the early go getters and then heat up in oct. I will be going this weekend and try it out.
[signature]
If that don't work out for ya im gonna be up at presque bay saturday and sunday fishing. Maybe you can go fishing there for a while. There are plenty of places to fish from shore. Just bring a pair of waders since the water will be a lil chilly. just look for me and if u see me start waveing. I have a GMC Envoy XUV and i will be pulling a New Red G3 Eagle 165. I put in at graveyard pond. Its the one right by Perry monument. Good luck this weekend, looks like its gonna be a good one with the weather if u can put up with all the rain saturday.
[signature]
yah this weekend we will probally hit the stream saturday and beach 11 sunday before we head off home. We did that last time we were there. If you would like I can give you a call if you have a cell phone and make arangements I don't like putting people out of there way. If you have room for me and the misses and our you afraid and or allergic to dogs? Your boat may not be big enough but it was a weekend for me and her to go up fish and see her parents so i really can't leave her behind even though she probally wouldnt mind it, but still. lol Well let me know. I wouldnt mind hitting up lake erie on a boat.[fishin]
[signature]
Sorry did not have time to check this before i left. O well maybe next time. I dont have the room to take that many people out on my boat, especially when the lake was as bad as it was saturday. Plus more that 2 guys on the boat gets to be a little cramped when you are fishing.

Went out saturday and did really well. The harder it rain we kept on catching more fish. My best this trip was a 19" largemouth. We really started to pound them during the down pours. Fish up there really seem to like the rain lol. It made me forget how miserable it was lol. Cant wait to go back up in October.
[signature]
Man that rain and wind saturday was "HORRIBLE" lol People here and there caught some steels only when the rain died down. I didnt get a single one. went to presque the next day and caught a bunch of yellow and white perch. I didnt want to be bothered with the shoulder to shoulder crap on sunday. Sundays weather was alright but still wasnt the best.
Yah would have loved to have fished on a boat but yah i cant just leave everyone behind specially when the womens brother wanted to go with us. If i was able to get a lift and go on my own then the women wouldnt care but if we go places together she usually wants to go.lol
[signature]
Yeah i thought sunday turned out to be nice. where were you fishing and around what time on sunday? I may have walked right past you and not thought twice about it lol. When i got up sunday i seen it was raining and i said to hell with it and i spent the day with the ole ladie shopping cause i did not have a hotel room to go back to and get a hot shower and a change of clothes. Did not feel like drivin the whole way home in wet pants and shirt.

Im not sure how big Jeff's boat is but maybe if he comes up in the spring he would have room for you on his boat. I could give you a ride up since i drive right through indiana. Talk to him about it i dunno. Id gladly take ya but i got my dad and 3 friends that fight over the only spot on my boat when i go up lol.
[signature]
[quote bigpikeguy]Yeah i thought sunday turned out to be nice. where were you fishing and around what time on sunday? I may have walked right past you and not thought twice about it lol. When i got up sunday i seen it was raining and i said to hell with it and i spent the day with the ole ladie shopping cause i did not have a hotel room to go back to and get a hot shower and a change of clothes. Did not feel like drivin the whole way home in wet pants and shirt.

Im not sure how big Jeff's boat is but maybe if he comes up in the spring he would have room for you on his boat. I could give you a ride up since i drive right through indiana. Talk to him about it i dunno. Id gladly take ya but i got my dad and 3 friends that fight over the only spot on my boat when i go up lol.[/quote]

We were fishing north shore beach 11 between i guess its a channel. It was the 3 of us. me, the women and her brother. 2 of us had glasses. I was sitting on a bucket anther with a chair. It was raining so i put my waders on. THen it stopped right when i put them on.lol Go figure.

Hahah do what i do with wet clothing. Just have a spare in the car and change right there. Well unless your shy about that and afraid your women or someone else might see you lol. But Saturday a hot shower after being in that weather for 8 hours felt good.

Yah we shall see how the spring goes. Still a long time away and heck maybe we can convience my womens dad to lend us his boat. The nexxt time she has a weekend avail again we are going up.
[signature]
I'll be damned i walked right behind you. I remember seeing a guy with waders on lol. I was like why is this guy wearing waders here? He aint gonna wade in the channel unless he wants to go to the bottom lol. You were sitting on the big cement channel wall right? Im attaching a picture that i took when i was there with my phone. If this looks familiar then it was you i seen. My dad is on the right and my old lady is trucking up ahead.

Yeah you can change out of your wet clothes but you cant get that chill out of your body. I do the same thing lol no shame but like i said that would be a long chilly ride home, even with the heat blasting.

If you could get the ole ladies dad to lend you the boat that would be the ticket! Start buggin him now lol. Maybe by spring he will give in.
[signature]
I was out tuesday and wensday this week.

I did fairly well I might add...

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12824/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1340.JPG][/url] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12825/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1341.JPG][/url]
click to enlarge photos

of the three I brought home one was 34 inches the other two are thirty inches.

Ya we did the best on them when the weather was miserable and rainy, and then again at night.

here is a brown that was caught a couple weeks ago
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12802/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1332.JPG][/url]

and finaly here is a couple kings caught almost a month ago.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12771/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1312.JPG][/url]
and to change it up a bit, here is a walleye caught the same night as the kings were
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12767/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1307.JPG][/url]
Like Bigpikeguy said every year they stack up at the head of the river waiting for the water temp due to a cold rain to drop befor they move up.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12773/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1314.JPG][/url][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/12772/cat/668"][Image: DSCN1313.JPG][/url]
now dont this make you want to grab your pole and head out to a river mouth?
[quote bigpikeguy]I'll be damned i walked right behind you. I remember seeing a guy with waders on lol. I was like why is this guy wearing waders here? He aint gonna wade in the channel unless he wants to go to the bottom lol. You were sitting on the big cement channel wall right? Im attaching a picture that i took when i was there with my phone. If this looks familiar then it was you i seen. My dad is on the right and my old lady is trucking up ahead.
[/quote]

Yah we were near the ramp area. I had the waders on cause it was raining hard and i hate when my pants get wet and the wind is blowing. Then it stopped raining like 5 mins after that so yah I was PO lol. Also I like the waders cause i know i will be warm in them and it keeps the water out. I didnt have any rain pants just a poncho so figure it was the next best thing. Yah u were farther down. If you know where the restrooms are across the street and u see the ramp in front of u to go up on the wall area. It was probally us. We only caught a bunch of white and yellow perch and goby nothing special. i Gave up on steels saturday cause there were to many people.
Yah seeing those pics clown makes me want to grab a rod and go back but im happy catching fish in general. Im usually not species specific cause that can get aggrivating at times. lol

Looking over your pic pike I do remember seeing you guys. Wasnt to many younger couples under 40 there. I remember seeing a old man with that hat and jacket.
[signature]
I don't blame ya, if i were cold i would deff put on my waders. They are warm, sometimes a little to warm. And yes it was raining that morning so you were probly the only one in the group that had a chance of staying dry.

Yeah we parked right by that ramp, by a white Ford Taurus. i had my boat on the back of my truck, we were on our way home and decided to stop at the wall to have a look at the lake. I did not fish that day but the day before when the conditions were horrible me and my dad did really well. I posted the report on the forum. Now that i have an idea what you look like i will keep an eye out for u when i go to yellow creek and erie if i know you are going to be there.

Yeah my dad's hat is hard to miss lol, so i don't surprise me that you can remember it lol.
[signature]
[quote bigpikeguy]

Yeah we parked right by that ramp, by a white Ford Taurus. I posted the report on the forum. Now that i have an idea what you look like i will keep an eye out for u when i go to yellow creek and erie if i know you are going to be there.
.[/quote]

Yah, Actually its a grey Ford taurus. That was ours. lol Yah i saw the report. It was crappy weather reguardless on how u look at it lol. Yah ill keep an eye out for you. If you go to yellow creek should just give me a yell and ill be down to go. [Smile]
[signature]
Sounds good. I don't know if i will be going to yellow creek again this year but i am going back up to Erie on the 17th. I hope we an find the bass again and get em to bite. If not well, its not like i never taken the rods for a boat ride before. lol.
[signature]
[quote bigpikeguy] i am going back up to Erie on the 17th.[/quote]

Yah we might go up on the 17th and 18th as well. Maybe try the steels again. Maybe we will see u up there again.
[signature]
I dont know i just now checked the weather for tomorrow and its telling me 23mph winds! not sure if i will be takeing the boat out. ill check the report in the morning and see. If its to bad we are just gonna head to lake Wilhelm instead. Really wanna go to erie but those waves beat ya up.
[signature]