Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Dogs for carp and catfish
I've heard a lot of people here in Illinois suggest using hot dogs for carp and catfish and I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with them.
Thanks!
[signature]
I have caught many catfish on hotdogs. I use panty hose to keep the hotdog pieces, just like chicken liver. Hotdogs tend to fly off the hook pretty easy.
[signature]
If you want to catch small channel cats or bullheads, they'll work fine.

I'd say no for carp, but i'm sure stranger things have happened.
[signature]
Thanks for the good advise, I appreciate it! .[fishin]
[signature]
Ive fished in areas were catfish wouldnt bite worms or stinkbait, and i found hotdogs are always good 2 bring with as a last resort. Ive also had good luck with Shad on limb lines.
[signature]
[quote Tarpon4me]If you want to catch small channel cats or bullheads, they'll work fine.

I'd say no for carp, but i'm sure stranger things have happened.[/quote]

while fishing for channels with cheese dogs I caught my first carp, a 7 1/2 lb common, strange things do happen lol
[signature]
yea I keep some stinky old hotdogs with (cheese) you can buy them at grocery stores they have little chunks of cheese in them.

I left them out in a plastic back for one whole day in the sun then froze them. Keep using the same pack over and now when nothing else is working. I get quite a few mud cats and channel cats off them when worms or blood bait isn't working that day.
[signature]
My son used hot dogs several times last summer. He used them with worms. The fish he got the most were bass. One day a guy came over in his boat. He said he was getting ready for a fishing tournament. He was watching my son catch bass and wanted to know what he was using. When he found out he acted like he just sucked a lemon. Ron

[Image: BrownleeJacobsbass25.jpg]
[signature]
Hot dogs definately work for Catfish. No clue on carp. Just cut em' up into little chunks about 1". Also, if you'll put the chunks in a ziplock bag and drain the juice out of a can of tuna into the bag, then set it outside if its warm, you'll be set for the next day. Then use the tuna to make sandwiches to eat during the trip! [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Gar can tear hot dogs up pretty good. They work excellent for bluegill and catfish, and I catch the occasional bass or tilapia on them also. For smaller gar I suggest minnows.[fishin]
[signature]