Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba conditions update 9-17-09
[cool][#0000ff]Like a few other BFTers, I have been thinking about hitting Yuba for some fall perch, pike and maybe a stray wallie. Sometimes pretty good after mid September. But, with recent reports of low water I thought I would contact Jeff Rasmussen, manager of the state park at Oasis, to get a current condition update.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In response to my question about the abnormally low water levels, Jeff's response was that the Sevier River watershed had a lower snowfall last winter than most of the northern lakes. The maximum depth reached at Yuba this year was 55% and is currently only at 20%. However the lake has come up about 6 inches in the last week and should begin to fill again at the end of the irrigation season.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The fishing report was as follows:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
There has been a guy fishing on and off the past couple of weeks that has caught quite a few pike. I think he has been fishing in the bay where they put the Christmas trees. He caught six in one day last week. The largest was about 33 inches.

Other than that it has been slow. I have not heard of anyone catching perch but there have been a lot of people fishing from shore between the boat ramp and the dam that we have not talked to so it is possible they have picked up a few.

The water temp is now in the low 60's.

Water depths at Painted Rocks are only 4-6' deep so I would go to Oasis.

Good luck,

Jeff
[signature]
And they want to put a 50 perch limit state wide...[crazy][crazy]

I wonder if there is 50 perch left....
[signature]
[quote bassrods]And they want to put a 50 perch limit state wide...[crazy][crazy]

I wonder if there is 50 perch left....[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]There are plenty of perch left.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, the numbers of perch in Yuba are more affected by water levels and predators than by fishermen. Populations of perch will rise and fall according to the natural changes in the lake...not by how much fishing pressure they get.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Going on a perch search down there next Wednesday.[/#0000ff]
[signature]