Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you look for in a fishing boat?
Doing some research for a report I'm planning to write, so I thought I would ask for some input. Just answer the following questions, and feel free to add anything else you might be useful. I know people love to talk about their boats. [Wink]

Do you fish from a boat in freshwater, saltwater, or both?

What length do you prefer?

Which do you think is better, fiberglass or aluminum?

What is the number one feature you're looking for in a fishing boat?

What other features do you consider important?

What influences your decision most on what kind of boat to buy?

If you have a boat, did you buy it new or used?

You can reply here, or email me at:

stacy(at)theoutdoorscopywriter(dot)com

Thanks!
[signature]

i fish both

18-20 feet

they are both good, fiberglass is great in the ocean.it is heavy enough to cut through the waves. aluminum is a great all around hull.it is great for a person that trailers their boat around

space,for me its haveing room for a couple of peaple to fish comfortable and haveing room for eveyone gear.a bot get crowded when you have 3 guys and thier gear

storage,manuverablity,dryness

my style of fishing,price,make of boat

used

if you could,when you done with your report please post it,thanks,good luck
[signature]
I bought my Lund for all the reasons Tomc stated. My 16'6" does a good job, but the 18' would have been better. Alum. does bang more in the waves as stated, but I've learned to accept it. I trailer my as well.Bought it new in 06
[signature]
freshwater

right now I'm in a 19 foot boat and love it.

one isn't really better than the other, just different applications.. right now I own a glass boat..

Stability.. I like to fish from a boat that isn't always trying to toss me in to the water..

Draw, livewells, storage..

Compromise.. Mostly because my wife and I want different things in our boat.. And we can't afford two..

Used..
[signature]
See my responses below in BOLD.

[quote StacyR]Doing some research for a report I'm planning to write, so I thought I would ask for some input. Just answer the following questions, and feel free to add anything else you might be useful. I know people love to talk about their boats. [Wink]

Both, but mostly Saltwater. Primarily offshore. (20 miles or more) Some inshore fishing inside 10 or in the inlets.

I think anything between 21 to 24' is a good length. It's not too big to trailer, but it's large enough to get to the blue water. It depends on the brand as well. Some boats in a 21' size are safer than some in a 24' size range. Like a 21' Contender for instance. It's got a 24 degree deadrise at the transom, has a nice weight and a proven history. Even known names like Hydra Sport or Key West, their boats of larger proportions can't handle the water that the smaller contender can.

Fiberglass is better in the ocean. Aluminum is better in the creeks or inshore. Aluminum is also better in freshwater rivers and small to medium sized lakes. They are lighter, faster, more stable, and more economical. Fiberglass boats are more rugged, heavier, and rough water worthy.

Deadrise at the transom. That's the first thing I look at. A boat with less deadrise won't do anything but beat the fillings out of your teeth in less favorable conditions. You learn to deal with the less favorable if you saltwater fish to any extent. The trick is having a boat that can also deal with the conditions, safely.

[ul][li]Storage is very important. There's a lot of crap to take out, especially safety gear. [/li][li]A good sized, round edged live well. The large size and round shape is key. [/li][li]Good seating. If you're making a 2 hour run offshore with four buddies, and only have seating for two behind the centerline of the boat, it's going to be a long ride out. You don't want to be seated on the front of the console if it gets bumpy. Your ass and back will be good and sore by the end of the day. [/li][li]Large insulated fish box(s). [/li][li]Sharp bow entry angle.[/li][li]The ability to flush mount electronics.[/li][li]A bow pulpit is nice, but not required.[/li][li]Adequate rod storage, or the ability to add plenty of rod storage. If I go offshore, I might take 15 or 16 different rods.

What influences your decision most on what kind of boat to buy? [/li][/ul]The ability for the manufacturer to provide a boat model that meets all the specified guidlines in my above answers. If i'm going to spend 40K on a boat, I want it to be fishable and safe. As previously mentioned by Tom, it needs to fit my specific fishing style. I go prepared to troll, bottom fish, and everything else. You never know when you'll need to switch tactics and target species to salvage the day.

Both

You can reply here, or email me at:

stacy(at)theoutdoorscopywriter(dot)com

Thanks![/quote]
[signature]