Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to catfishing Need help with blood baits and hook.
Ok so I'm new to catfishing and I was wondering, I bought a blood bait called Wild Cat blood its a dough bait and says that it works best on a Trihook. How exactly would I go about putting the dough on the trihook it just breaks right off.... Please reply

Thanks.
[signature]
That stuff isn't worth two cents, IMHO of course. Sounds like you're targeted Channel Cats or bullheads, based on that choice of bait. So, go to the grocery store, pick up a couple containers of fresh chicken livers, and stick them in the freezer. Take them out on the water, still frozen. Chisel yourself off a chunk and toss out your line. The frozen chicken liver will stay on the hook better, and will thaw as it sets in the water. It will keep it's juicyness longer, since it's frozen, and you can cast longer. Also, you'll get less mess on your hands too.

Use a carolina style rig with about a 20" leader. I prefer Fluorocarbon, but some will say it's a waste. A kahl hook works nicely. Nothing monsterous, 2/0 or so, depending on what size fish you run into. If you're getting bit and not hooking up, drop your hook size a little.

If you really want to catch a nice cat, use a live bream or fresh cutbait on said carolina rig. Make sure you've got the gear to handle 50 lb fish though. 20 lb gear at a minimum, and 50 lb gear if your fishing along lots of snags. You'll find a blue or flathead with this type of bait and gear.
[signature]
I know a lot of catfish guides and I've very familiar with Bait for channel cats /blue cats is Lewis King punchbait and Big Marvs cheese bait both baits are available online just do a google search.
For big flathead and yellow cat you can't beat a 4 in bluegill/perch.
[signature]
To me, it seems like the Wild Cat Cheese dough, or Wild Cat Blood dough both are horrible. If you decide you want to use them, what I did to bait them, was take a sharp knife, and cut a slit from the side of a bait to the middle. I guess you could call it the radius? [Wink] Then slip it onto the line and down onto the treble hook. Some of the baits WILL crumble and fall into your lawn chair, but you can make it work.

If you do decide that you don't want to use those, my FAVORITE catfish bait, is week old chicken hearts or livers. Buy a can of either and leave them somewhere that wild critters can't get a hold of them. If you have livers, you can use cheesecloth or pantyhose to make a little (sack/bag) so that the liver doesn't sling off on the stonger casts. If you're using hearts, they tend to be WAY tougher, but definately smell JUST as bad as the livers [Image: happy.gif]. So they won't come off as easily.
[signature]

If the bait is what I think it is then it is not made to go on a treble hook. You need to use a straight shank hook.
[signature]