Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The pathetic provo
I dominate the provo on almost every trip. Unfortunately the provo is not that fun a river to fish. Who wants to spend a half day catching 12 to 16 inch browns and rainbows. Blue ribbon should be stream that yields 16 on average with lots of 18 to 20 inch fish. Ya there are a handful of bigger fish but I have to throw my rapalas to catch them. Tired of dominating on rapalas too. Plus I hurt the fish. anyone else have the same problem of just dominating every water you hit? Just wondering if there any fisherman out there that have outgrown the challenge to catch fish, its become too easy. I would love a challenge, any suggestions? This post was written with satire. lol..
[signature]
Sounds like a personal problem to me. Maybe you should try and mix it up a little?? How about a 9' tree limb and a safety pin with some hair tied on it?? Maybe you should try and target a different species? How about carp or bass or walleye?
If you are so good on the provo, why don't you start guiding and make money off it while watching people catch fish instead of you?
There is a place on Mirror Lake HWY that is in Murdoc Basin. The 2' wide trickle is called Broadhead meadows. It is full of very weary brookies. Why don't you see if you can master that, with only things you can find on the ground? Beer can tops, grass, branches, ect.[Wink]
[signature]
Whats a Rapala?[crazy]
[signature]
correct me if im wrong Brick, but i think a Rapala is an old wooden ship!

name that movie!!
[signature]
Sounds like it is time to leave the trout and the Provo and head for a some bass on another body of water. Once you figure them out you will find you want to go after trout again. Mix it up a little. There is more to life than trout.[cool]
[signature]
Go try the Green below Fontanelle if your looking for a challenging trout water close by. Salmon, Steelhead, Tarpon and Shark can all be challenging on a fly. Most Utah trout streams are hard to get skunked on so look elsewhere. After you get put in your place a few times elsewhere you'll appreciated the 60 fish afternoons Utah routinely offers up on so many streams. And if you don't like stunted fish for goodness sake stay away from the Provo[crazy]. I think it only took me 2 trips there to figure that wasn't for me either[laugh].
[signature]
Sounds to me like you should just give up the sport and donate all your fly gear to me
Take up another hobby like croshaying. I hear it can be quite challenging you can dominate the yarn & needles be the croshayinator [Wink]
[signature]
It is so hard to be so good, I know. I went through a similar point in my fly fishing career...just grew tired of being so awesome. I since have gone to bare hook fishing, size #18 works the best. Dropped my tippet to 10x with a 10 weight 13 ft. rod.....worked amazingly! Started fishing canals and dry creeks. Haven't caughten a fish since, and I am no longer that awesome. Just a suggestion.[Wink]

As for a rapala....I think it's French, meaning "fish killer". [laugh]

-Rich
[signature]
[quote kochanut]correct me if im wrong Brick, but i think a Rapala is an old wooden ship!

name that movie!![/quote]

Anchor Man, and I hate to nit pick, but he wasn't talking to Brick. He was talking to Ed Harken, his boss. But no, I would be surprised if he was catching fish with an old wooden ship, but nice try! [Wink]

Rapala is a technique used to scale down walls to approach fish from directly above, where they don't see quite as well.
[signature]
I think rapala was a term coined by the Germans back in 1904, which of course in German means "a whale's vag..."

I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.....[laugh]

Funniest movie of all time!!!

-Rich
[signature]
I just hope I never get sooooo bored with fishing to resort to RAP ala.

Isn't it the name of a rapper.....RAP ALA KING?[angelic]
[signature]
[quote boowill]I would love a challenge, any suggestions? [/quote]

[Smile] I think you should go bowling. I hear smacking down a 300 is pretty tuff.

You're right about
[signature]
Am I the only one that has ever thought of fishing with one of those HUGE rapalas that are for decoration? Everytime I see one of those things, I can't help but think of throwing it for some monster fish. That's it....try one of those rapalas on the Provo, that might challenge ya! [Wink] You might just cast it on one's head and knock 'em out![sly]

-Rich
[signature]
boo hoo
[signature]
I think it's interesting that you have "Mastered the Provo," yet you can't catch the big ones on anything but a Rapala. In my opinion, that is anything but mastery. Change your technique, flies, etc. and fish for nothing but the big boys. If you master that, then I'll buy that you've "Mastered the Provo."
[signature]
RIGHT ON........but what is a Rapala?[Wink]
[signature]
[quote richyd4u]Am I the only one that has ever thought of fishing with one of those HUGE rapalas that are for decoration? Everytime I see one of those things, I can't help but think of throwing it for some monster fish. That's it....try one of those rapalas on the Provo, that might challenge ya! [Wink] You might just cast it on one's head and knock 'em out![sly]

-Rich[/quote]

When I see one of those I think Marlin.
[signature]
I will have to agree with Lunkerhunter2. Try walleye. I am a huge trout fly fishing connoisseur, that was until about 4 years ago when I started targeting and seclusively fishing for walleye, almost any chance i get. I think I enjoy trout fishing more now than then because I can still successfully fly fish for them. Once you think you know how to catch a walleye their patterns change and well........... you have to change your tactics. When ice fishing starts up again I will feel like I can never catch a walleye again. It is like they disappear. That will keep me busy this winter. But the trout catching will keep my ambition up. If it was me I would stop fishing the provo for the only reason that their are WAY too many people fishing it.(still not enough too keep me away) Catching too many fish and mastering the river are two reasons that just state that you need to find a new hobby. I will never feel that I have nothing to learn or try in any fishing scenario. That is crazy talk and you might need a spankin and be sent to your room without dinner. LOL

BTW you should change you handle to the dominator. That would be humble...hahaha
[signature]
Some one call the WA-mbulance!! Holy cow man. You need some humility. Go guide if youre so good. Keep some fish if they are so stunted. Fish the big stuff if you cant catch the big ones. I have done fine catching fish in the 18-22 inch range on the middle this year. I throw luckys and they dont "hurt" the fish if you are not an idiot releasing them. Even if they did, everyone says the Prov needs thining out. Waaaa waaaa...
[signature]