Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Fly Fishing Catch
[size 2]Well I went home to North East Texas last week.I took my new fly rod to practice a little. I have been fishing hard and heavy for 30+ years but I am new to flyfishing.There is a pool there, behind my parents house that is full of bass and perch.As far as I can remeber I caught my very first fish ever in that very pool some thirtyfour years ago. The first time I fished in that pool it was so young it hardly had any grass growing on it's banks. That pool hase been the testing grounds for many brain storms over the years.I learned to get the feel for jig fishing, and Texas rigged worm fishing in that pool many years ago. So I thought it would be fitting that the first fish to catch on a fly rod be in that very pool.The 1/2 acre pool is falling prey to what is called "pond succession" in the ecology world. Most things , if left alone, return to there natural state .Cleared fields are overtaken with growth, ponds fill in with run off and decaying aquatic growth. Anyway the pools is not near as deep as it once was and has a healthy growth of moss. The first cast that I put past the moss yielded this little 17" buck bass. He just could not stand the thought of that little chartreuse popper fly chugging across his back yard.I drug in a 10 pond ball of moss with him so there was not a lot of fight in him. I got my picture took with him and turned him back . Allthough, there was no dought that I could have caught a few more, I didn't make another cast. I just filed the memory in my minds fishing folder and walked back to the house.[/size]

[Image: 003311-big.gif]
[signature]