Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Guide Wrap
The butt-wrap technique origanaly developed by Scott Throop he calls a "Tiger-Wrap" can be used on guide wraps too. It's a lot more labor intensive but quite striking.
[signature]

very nice, I've seem this wrap but have no idea how it's done. if you don't mind me asking how is this wrap done ?? thanks chuck
[signature]
It's done by first wrapping a bottom thread layer consisting of 2(or more) high contrasting color threads together (black & white or black & yellow work quite well)making sure not to allow the threads to cross each other. They need to be side by side without any gaps. After you get them wrapped burnish in multiple directions. I like to burnish one way, turn the blank 90* burnish the opposite direction and continue all the way around. VERY IMPORTANT not to get any gaps.
Now CP and then coat with finish & allow to set.

Then wrap 2(or more) threads together on top of the finish but in the opposite direction. One of these threads will be the main color you wish the wrap to remain, the other color is of no consequence because after the the top layer completely covers the bottom you remove & discard the thread. It's only function is to keep the remaining thread equidistant from itself. Make sure when you remove the discard thread you DO NOT disturb the thread that stays behind. VERY IMPORTANT!
That's it in a nutshell but there are some caveats to be aware of

There is 2 in-depth articles in a RodMaker magazine back issue and a couple of tutorials on the Rod Builder's Library website. If your interested.
[signature]