Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to NY Hamptons fishing?
Hey everyone, I was just placed in NY for summer baseball, specifically I will be living in the Hamptons, How is the fishing there, what are the species? and will there be good spots to launch my fishing kayak? thanks!
[signature]
Dont know how far you want to drive,
lake erie has steal head, walleye stripers perch bass gills drum cats bowfin pike musky crappie.

I am not sure to much about the down side of the dam in the erie canal,

there are trout streams and ponds and good opertunities for ice fishing...

you just need to give us a radious as to how far you are willing to drive one way...
[signature]
Thanks for the reply Dave, the Hamptons are out on Long Island.
Carons,
You don't have to drive very far at all to get into some of the best fishing in the eastern US. Shinnecock bay is right there and will provide some great flounder fishing from your yak. The bays to the north are also good, Paconic, Flanders and Sag Harbor. On the incoming tide at Shinnecock you will have Stripers and Bluefish to target. Up the island a bit is Montauk, home to several world records and some fantastic fishing as it is where the Gulf stream slams into the shore and carries many warmer water fish north.
Many of LI's beaches are public and there should be ample places to launch a yak.
While you are there be sure to take at least one trip off shore on a charter or head boat. The summer sees one of the best tuna runs in the east coast.
I know it's a way off, but please post up results in the Kayak page, kind of dead over there.
[signature]
Troll, thank you so much for the input. I am excited to get there and try my new yak out there. ill hit up the spots you mentioned first before I do some exploring...btw i accidentally just reported your post instead of reply :x sorry
[signature]
That's OK, it will get Dave to read the post.

There are also what are called Totaug or black sea bass in the area that fight well and taste even better.
Do a search for LI fishing, there are a couple of websites that cater to the LI fishing crowd.
[signature]