Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Activity
Winter is on it's way. I don't mind the snow, even a little cold.
I draw the line if I am deicing every cast however[Wink]
Wind....HATE IT
So those days I usually stay in and tie flies or building Furled leaders, but this year....ROD BUILDING:

I am working on a Glass rod with a little graphite built in to make it a little faster.
The reel seat I am going with is a small full well grip, and American Tackle Triangle Window seat:

[Image: IMG_2143.jpg]

The Blank is a beautiful light green made by T.L. Johnson rods. It is a 7'6" two piece 4/5.
I went with a Black and Orange Classic Twist thread capped with Black Silk.

[Image: IMG_2147.jpg]

Still waiting for the H & H snake guides to show up.

Cork and winding check came from Fish Tech.
[signature]
That orange against the green looks great. It almost has a vintage quality to it -- the colors remind me of an an old rod my dad had.
[signature]
Thanks, I was thinking originally of a Pea Green Silk I have. Thought it would look cool. It does on Mojo's rod...LOL
So last night I was holding all these threads against the rod and I liked this color the best.

How you been G?
[signature]
Nice looking rod so far. Keep us posted as it comes along.I don't bother tying flies or building rods during the winter. And ice is for making drinks cold not for fishing in my book. I like to spend my time and money escaping winter when ever possible. Driving down to southern Utah to fish small streams, hit Marble Canyon across the border in Arizona for the winter spawning bows and flying to South Florida for fishing the Keys, Glades, Ocean and Canals whenever possible. Only downside is I need sunscreen all year [Wink]. We all have to make sacrifices. That reminds me it's snowing this week has Tarpon Jim gone south for the winter yet? That's the way to live.
[signature]
Tis nice! But the rivers rock here in the winter.
[signature]
Not yet Dog! I'm on a different plan this winter instead of guiding in Florida for 4 months. Mexico for tarpon, and some of the other things you mentioned. Glades. Warmer climate rivers. Maybe Mexico twice. Whatever I can pull off until the money runs out, and that won't be long since I'm not working again until spring!
[signature]
Nice combination, orange works! like the choice off seat.

Talk of Florida... Bums me out,My inlaws moved from Okala to Ogden to be close to us. I miss Having to go visit them! Actually my wife would visit,I would spend the whole time on one coast or the other.
[signature]
Beauty! I like that style of cork. The majority of "light" rods I see have a full tapered grip, but I prefer the style you chose to give my thumb something to work with.
Seem's minor I know but it's amazing the difference little things like that make.

I am thinking about building a rod this winter as well. Would you be able to post some links to your favorite component suppliers?
[signature]
I don't know that I can post links with the rules of this forum, but I buy from:

Anglers Workshop, e-bay rod building, Fish Tech, and as far as blanks...just look for good deals.
Mudd Hole has allot of stuff, but are overpriced.

I didn't care for the Full Well cork handle, specially on a lighter rod. My 5 weight TFO came with one. I have big hands, but just didn't care for it.....UNTIL, I bought my JWF.
Joan Wulff's signature rod has a small full well with a thumb dent. As you said, PERFECT feel.
So, I will be doing a little sanding on the cork for the thumb.
[signature]
Cache Valley is too cold in the winter to entice me out much, so I stay inside in the winter. I really want to try rod building someday, but right now winter is time for me to work on music. My instruments are feeling neglected with all the fishing I've been doing this year.
[signature]
Normally I would agree with you, but as of Halloween, I am retired from the music business.
Got a trailer full of equipment for sale.[Wink]
[signature]
I know how you feel, I've just resigned myself to playing and recording for fun. It's hard to devote enough time and energy to music to make any kind of living off of it. There are just too many other things in life. As much as I love getting new gear, I don't think my wife would let me get any more [shocked] One room full is enough.
[signature]