Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rotator cuff safe cast
DryRod, I thought of you and myself when I saw this video and figure it is good info for a few others that read this board whom I suspect are not spring chickens either.

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqnt0J1jNg&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqnt0J1jNg&NR=1[/url]
[signature]
[quote Scruffy_Fly]DryRod, I thought of you and myself when I saw this video and figure it is good info for a few others that read this board whom I suspect are not spring chickens either.

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]I had seen this video before and it is good advise to those of us who beat up our bodies when we were young. I just move my forearm from a horizonal position to a vertical and back. Can cast like that all day with bothering my shoulder too much.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
what I see and understand him saying is to basically lock your arm to your side and use your body to make the cast.. .

is there any loss of speed or distance doing this.. or is this more of a scandinavian style of casting (I know its not spey but the idea is the same I think..) ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I haven't really tried this body technique but will give it a try this weekend as I'm starting to have shoulder issues.

However, I doesn't look like it lends itself to my float tube or even pontoon boat too well. I've started simply using Dryrod's forearm up/down method for most of my casting or doing a lot more trolling while stripping line and then releasing it back into the water so I don't cast as much.

I just got a copy of Lefty's casting video from our club library last week and will watch it this weekend to what he teaches. I know his still is not consistent with the "western" style taught out here.

Jim
[signature]
a while back I was looking for some videos of spey casting on line and ran across a good short series of scandinavian casting.. basically the gentleman that was doing the video stressed using body movement to enhance the cast (body weight behind the cast type of thing) plus a shorter stroke with the arm..

what I say in this video reminded me of that idea.. Im not saying they are the same.. but maybe a similar idea (enhancing the "western" cast with body movement and weight) ..

as far as tube or toon goes.. Im not sure this idea would work.. but then again keeping the butt of the rod near your body.. arms close to the body .. using both hands (Scandian style) might work.. might be worth some experimenting :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]