Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underwater cameras
What are everyones opinions and reviews on the different brands out there. I'm looking to get one, but scepitcal on the cabelas 7" panning one. Anyone have one?
[signature]
Here is a great camera that records to DVD directly. Great unit!
[url "http://www.splashcam.com/deepblue/db_pro.htm"]http://www.splashcam.com/deepblue/db_pro.htm[/url]
[signature]
Fish cam's in general..
I'll probably end up the odd one out on this subject but,, I found like all new toys Fish Cam's find themselves in the toy box more than being used after the new wears off. I believe money is better spent on a good F/F..
But cams are a kick for a couple trips and on the flip side, the kiddies enjoy watching the critters on the screen when I take the G-kids along.
[signature]
it will be strictly for ice fishing but I may drop it over the side at powell for kicks. That camera is pretty slick but probably too bulky to carry on the ice. Coldfooter, which one do you have if I may ask?
[signature]
I'll have to agree with cold footer on this one. When you first get one, you spend a lot of time looking and not fishing. They are fun and can be useful at times but a finder is a better tool for the money. That was one of the reasons I chose not to get carried away on any expensive model. I ended up buying one at Harbor Freight, they had it on sale for $99, then I found a $20 off coupon, so I paid $79 for mine. I think they normally sell for $129. The only problem I've had with mine is the hood that keeps the light out, it is a cheaper fold up design and the corners cracked. I ended up using duct tape to keep it together and that worked out ok.
Fuzzyfisher has made some cool video with his camera, he loaded it on youtube.
The cameras are a useful tool and they are fun to play with but it is hard to fish and watch the camera at the same time but it can be done. I just found that I spent more time looking and less time fishing. WH2
[signature]
I have one and I like it a lot. It's the "Fish TV". Going on 5 years now and it is excellent for ice fishing WHEN INSIDE AN ICE SHACK. Doesn't work worth squat outside in the sun. At Scofield this weekend we had the Fish Camera as well as a good fish finder (color, etc). The battery on the FISH TV died after about 4 hours but the fishfinder was still going. We decided we'd rather have the FISH TV so we used the fishfinder battery for the TV and turned the fishfinder off! If you have it set up properly, you can see all your jigs (3 of us). We built a stand so that the camera can sit ON the bottom level and we put it on the end hole looking towards all the lures in a straight line. Works excellent that way!
I also thought that it would just be a novelty toy at first, but have found that although not absolutely necessary, it is very very fun and a very useful tool.

If conditions are right (visibility, not too deep, set up properly) I'd rather have the Fish TV than the fishfinder.

When conditions are murky, deeper water, etc. I'd rather have the fishfinder.

Ice fishing is the only time you can really use it as the screen is useless outside. Even with those little covers.

Hope this helps. I've seen them for $89.00 at Sportsmans.
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I am just the opposite, I love my camera, I have found it is such a learning tool for fishing, my catch rates have gone up tremendously because of my camera, I watch the details, I note the structure, the fish's reactions to jigging techniques, you learn the affects of jig colors, presentations and such. To say the camera loses its novelty, to me is wrong, use it as a tool just like your finder, I can tell what type and size of fish I am dealing with, if the fish is to small I whip the jig away so I don't have to catch it. It keeps the slow times interesting, you get to watch the fish suck the jig into its mouth and you never feel it. So you start to try and rip the pole without feeling the hit. You get to learn the fish are always on the move, they are constantly in and out of the area. You can learn to find the paths the fish travel, as affected by structure, depth changes, ect. My advice use it as a tool to learn and it will make you a better fisherman. Its not just a tv set
[signature]
I totally agree with you design. There was a situation on sunday where we were trying to set the hook on these little fish and our worms would fall off. There was a good 18" tiger swimming on the bottom burrying his snout in the mud eating the worms that had fallen. He would not touch a suspended worm. so we layed one on the bottom and sure enough ten seconds later we were taking a pic of him on the ice. I wonder how many big fish have done that and me and me not knowing. My buddy has had one for a couple years and we have definetley hooked more fish with it. You would be surprised at how these fish swallow your jig and don't even move you pole tip. A guy and I had an arguement about the vex and the camera. him liking the vex, me taking sides with the camera. The arguement being him saying you could'nt use the camera as a fish finder. saying the vex was so much better and the camera was a waste. After this weekend he bought a camera and was done with the vex.
[signature]
amen what a waste of money when iam fishing i dont have enuf time to watch tv great for kids and that not so serious fisherman. i got an aquaview i would make you a hell of a deal on.used it a half a doz time's in 7yr.
[signature]
Sorry, bought mine several years ago and right off hand I dont recall what the brand name is.. Its buried somewhere in the storage shed tho', I think [laugh]
[signature]
Your friend is done with his Vex??? He will probably want it back when he realizes he is missing fish that come through suspended or behind his lens. A camera will only show one level and one direction. A flasher/finder shows the entire column and 360 degrees. I'd choose a good flasher/finder over a camera any day. Guess it all boils down to different strokes for different folks.

see you on the ice!
[signature]
id pry get more pissed off seeing the fish not take my bait then seeing the fish period.
[signature]
LOL, well old buddy let me know what you want for it when I make it up there this year. Buying yours for the G-kids would be easier than digging out the one I have,, lost somewhere in the storage shed!! [laugh]
Btw,, I'll have a fist full of goodies for ya (new and far improved) for icing,, including Koke,, so tell Jeff (if ya see him) I have those special Koke getters he wants/needs..
[signature]
That's why I've been looking at the cabelas 360 one. it has a 360 degree viewing area with a weight that can be adjusted forward or backwards moving the camera up and down.
[signature]
well get up here my koke hole will be frozze with in the next week or so.we are haveing a little get together fri night on the ling.I would love to sell my camera to get it out of my damn way but tiff will kill me braden loves to play with it to much on the koke beds.
[signature]
I have the vexilar fl18, so my buddy got an aqua vu. Last year at Yuba, we had a lot of big porker Perch that would come in, belly to bottom and just stare at the jigs.By watching them on the aqua vu, I was able to refine my presentation and hook them. They would just hold the jig for a couple seconds and drop it. The rod tip never moved. I caught a limit of big fat Perch and my buddy caught, cold.
Cameras are just another useful tool that sometimes can mean the difference between a stringer of keepers and a couple little perchlets.
Often, when fishing deep at Deer creek and seeing lots of fish on the finder, with no bites, we can drop the aqua vu down and see that all the fish are carp. Rather than wasting time fishing for something we dont want, we can move on and look for Walleye. Like I said, a valuable tool, but a good finder will always be the more important tool on the boat or on the ice.
If you fish for a particular species and not just whatever bites, a camera is worth having. If you just want to throw a glob of power bait in the water and see what happens, spend your money on a real good sonar unit.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#000000][size 4]I got the Fish TV, at about $100.00 at Sportsman, I enjoy it, however I find my self fishing more than TV-n, also the Camera does not work well while trolling, I attached a small cable to it so if it get's hung up on something it wont break off the camera. they can be fun and useful if sit-n in one place, The Fish TV is great for the price, I would not pay any more. my 2 cents worth.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
What would the visability at Utah Lake be like? I can't imagine a camera would do much good there, but with the ice on and no wave activity to stir up sediments, would you be able to see those light panfish bites?
[signature]
[quote fishley] tiff will kill me braden loves to play with it to much on the koke beds.[/quote]

LMFAO!!! I knew that!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]!!
[signature]
My first experience with one was when I met Coldfooter up at the berry. He had one of those Harbor Freight units & I'll tell you I had a blast watching that thing. Learned that the cutts will often just grab your jig barely by the tail & shake it. If you yank on it - game over, they don't have the hook. If you just move it a little bit, they'll come around right quick and grab it by the head & then you got 'em.

I beat feet to Harbor & got myself one. Didn't keep the receipt. Dumb! The thing croaked on the second or third trip so I bought a Fish TV & just love using it. They aren't worth a hoot if the water isn't clear though.
[signature]