Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port Isabel Ship Channel swing bridge.7\12
The brother-in-law and I decided to get in a little fishing before the big storm hit.We thought that the coming storm might cause the fish to bite a little better.I guess we were wrong.When we first arived at the swing bridge the tide was high and the current was moving away from the bridge.In my experience the bite is not at its best under those conditions.We did manage to catch a few small specks,pinfish,piggies,and ladyfish.We fished until around 12 noon and decided to give it a rest while we ate at the Lost Galleon's all you can eat flounder for 6.95.
When we returned the current was at a stand still.We procided to catch a few tiny mangrove snapper.
I decided to try a little fly fishing out on the flat and channel edge south of the bridge.I caught a ladyfish and a small rat red out there on an olive and white clouser fly.This fly fishing is a lot of fun.I cant wait to hang into a respectable sized fish on it.
When I returned to the bridge The brother-in-law was soaking wet with sweat.He does not do well in hot humid weather.He said the bite had stopped and he wanted to go take a swim in the surf.So we drug up again and went over to a public beach access behind one of the hotel and cooled off in the surf and view some of the scenery that SPI has to offer.It was UTTERLY rediculous.LOL
We returned to the swing bridge at around 6:00 pm and the tide was low and the current was moving under the bridge faster than I have ever seen it.A live shrimp whith three buckshot sized split shot would drift for about 30 seconds.I would through it up stream and stay in contact with it until it drifted under the bridge.The strikes would come just before the bait went under the bridge.
We only caught a couple worthy of a picture.Here is a swing bridge, fat snook for you guy alway asking me to post one.
[Image: 003526.gif]
Here is a nice flounder I caught in an eddie behind a piling.He was taking a break from the fast current
[Image: 003527.gif]

I guess you can see I took this one home to add to the fish stockpile in my freezer.I promised Bull Whiting Bob I would have a little fish fry soon and invite him and him buddy pampano Jim.I suspect the full moon had something to do with the extreme low tide and very fast current ant the bridge.If you can catch the conditions just right, right around suntset +or- a couple of hours.The swing bridge can offer as much fishing excitement as anywhere.It seems that here is a lot more people showing up there to fish.It seem that the spot is not as good as it used to be.
Well it was not one of our good trips to the swing bridge but I didn't get skunked.
FISH ON!
[signature]