Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exceed US Coast Guard Sticker?
I purchased a 12' Gator 12 Jon boat. I've invested about $1,000 in it now, and I'm thinking I should have purchased a bigger used boat.

Anywayz, the Coast Guard sticker says 2 persons / 420lb (which I didn't realize until after I purchased it).

I've had 4 people and about 500lb in the boat at once, and it worked fine. In many cases, I'd like to take one child and two adults or one adult and two kids. We probably won't exceed the weight limits at that.

In any case, does anyone know if you can exceed one or the other, as long as you don't exceed both limits (I would assume not).

Also, anyone have any idea what the ticket would cost? I live in Utah, and may exceed it from time to time anyway. It's probably not a big ticket, and I'm usually on small bodies of water that don't have much of a patrol.

Suggestions?
[signature]
If I understand the limits correctly, the weight limit includes the waight of the persons riding in the boat. in other words if you have two 250 pound persons in the boat you have the boat loaded with 500 lbs. dont forget to add the weight of your motor to that as well.
[signature]
[#ff0000]Hey JD, I was just looking at this last night at work. If you go to this link and sign up for the Utah boater course they will send you a whole dang packet of great information for free. Instead of retyping the whole pages (pg. 5, 29) that covers this, take a second and have them send you the real deal. There does seem to be a little gray area. Just a couple highlights:[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000]"In Utah it is a violation to exceed your vessel's capacity."[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000]"You should not exceed either the stated maximum weight capacity or the maximum number of people."[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000]"Maximum weight is the combined weight of passengers, rear, (haha! what a typo I have done! I was going to fix it but could not resist) GEAR, and motors."[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000]The example they give is "7 persons or 1050 pounds (7X150=1050) or 1400 lbs. persons, motors, gear. 130 H.P. motor"[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000]I have a little 12 foot aluminum jon that the capacity plate states "2 - 150 pound persons OR maximum combined properly balanced weight of passengers, gear, and motor not to exceed 440 pounds." I think as long as you don't breach the 420 pounds and operate safely for the boating conditions you will be OK. Newton Res. is about perfect for that little craft this time of year! Happy boating![/#ff0000]
[signature]
[cool] good reply !
[signature]