Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expedition to Panama Dec 13th
It took awhile to crop and watermark the 1500+ pictures that we came back with so sorry for the delay in our full report. Raza did a great job cleaning them up.

It was great to be back in Panama, the tropic climate did us all good and it was like coming home to be back at the Panama Sportfishing Lodge, again for the third time this year! The lodge is getting larger each visit the new addition was complete and the new staff was attentive and on the ball.

[Image: DSC_0412.jpg]

Custom CMT/Bogan for Lucky John

[Image: DSC_0408.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0410.jpg]

This trip was December 3rd to the 13th 2009. We had some great guys on this trip, Lucky John, Ryan, Bryan, George and I think everyone had a great time.

BTW we are going back this coming April, want to join us ?

Welcome to TackleNow.com!

Trip started of myself, Peter and Raza Dec 3rd from Newark Airport. We had a little bit of an issue with the luggage, but it got straightened out and on our way. A big plus to fly with Peter as he has an elite access card and all our bags where tagged Priority. During peak season Continental calls it Embargo period, they really try to enforce the regs as the flights are very full and the amount of baggage people bring home for the holidays, including Christmas gifts is mind blowing.

[Image: PC041489.jpg]

The Flight was a little bumpy but not too bad and we arrived in Panama that evening. Buses from Hotel Veneto and drivers where waiting for us and quickly loaded our gear. Twenty minutes later we where unloading at the hotel.

[Image: IMG_1567.jpg]

My Brother I/L had a really nice surprise in store for us, and we where booked into the Presidential suite at no additional charge! Swanky digs for some weary travelers. Next thing you know we got our second wind, are shooting pool and getting ready to head out for a drink.

[Image: IMG_1492.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1493.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1497.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1498.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1500.jpg]

The next day we headed downtown for some fantastic dim sum and then to the Old Town for some sight seeing.

Famous Panama Snow Cone - Peter likes to live dangerously and has an iron stomach

[Image: PC051494.jpg]

[Image: PC051496.jpg]

That afternoon we met up with the “Virginia Contingent” Ryan, Bryan and George and John G (Lucky John) from NY.

Guys – I don’t have any of your pictures so feel free to add to this post!

The group hung out, shot some pool, drank some Atlas Beers and got to know each other.

That evening we met up with our host, John Dela Cruz, Panama Sportfishing Lodge, for a night on the town. We where actually very well behaved, didn’t spend all our time or money at La Palace and headed over to Club Pure a South Beach open-air type nightclub. Cover was a very steep $20 a head but they where having an amateur model bikini contest or something – so no complaints!

[Image: IMG00344.jpg]

[Image: IMG00357.jpg]

[Image: IMG00356.jpg]

Sunday morning we left in two groups – one group headed to the Airport to search for the missing rod tube while the other headed right to the lodge. Continental had loaded the tube on the plane and then unloaded to make room for whatever and send it on another flight down to Panama City. It was the weekend and we didn’t have much faith in Continental at that point so we went to the airport and after more than an hour finally got it and nothing broken.

Our driver, Mel, was great we made short work of the drive and had time to stop for tacos and beer more than halfway and did some shopping (Gatorade, rum, pokily, more Gatorade).

Monday

We Fished with Capt Juan Valdez ha his real name was Capt. Juan Sprague and he had a very nice tricked out ’32 Super Pang with twin 250’s. Next trip I'd like to add a dive option with his Brother.

[Image: DSC_0239.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0234.jpg]

It was a really nice boat for inshore and had tons of room for heaving Mahi

[Image: DSC_0209.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0211.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0222.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0226.jpg]

Did some inshore jigging at some holes he knew – his Brother is an accomplished diver and together they have a lot of spots. This jig is our new Flutter 200g. The final product will have holographic foil but this is a preproduction sample just for testing the action and strength of the jig.

Whale Rock – the incoming waves shoot into the air like a Whale’s blow hole

[Image: DSC_0203.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0206.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0258.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0260.jpg]

Raza with a nice Horse Eye’d Jack

[Image: DSC_0270.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0274.jpg]

Dan with a Blue Jack caught on Synit Popping rod, Salas Tar Baby, Owner 8/0 Stinger Siwash Hook.

[Image: DSC_0285.jpg]

The inshore volcanic rock formations are amazing, they create a great habitat for these inshore fish.

[Image: DSC_0297.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0368.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0373.jpg]

Trigger fish – wacked a CM220, the jig is longer than the fish!

[Image: DSC_0079.jpg]

This was some kind of Rock Snapper, fought very hard for its size. Rod was the Synit Popper with Shimano 8000 reel, Salas 7X surface iron, Owner 8/0 Hook.

[Image: DSC_0084.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0085.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0092.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0802.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0654.jpg]

Peter hooked in to a Cubera

Putting a nice bending in the Patriot Design Rod. Tacklenow.com is THE authorized Patriot Dealer for NJ/NY/PA.

[Image: DSC_0098.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0099.jpg]

Cubera running and taking line

[Image: DSC_0105.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0113.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0115.jpg]

Salas 7X Strikes Again! Blue/White Pattern

[Image: DSC_0121.jpg]

Way to go Peter!

[Image: DSC_0123.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0127.jpg]

Cubera Snapper are the most prized game fish down in Panama, they are very strong fighters and have some serious teeth. Macho says a large one can take a man’s arm off.

[Image: DSC_0131.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0134.jpg]

While many like to eat the Cubera – we really encourage catch and release of all larger fish. If you must eat one – then kill a smaller one and let the trophy sized ones like this one go!

[Image: DSC_0135.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0137.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0721.jpg]

Dan throwing surface iron with Synit Popper Prototype provided by gman. I used Streamline Wind-On casting leaders for both my reels for the entire trip.
I feel they do cast a little further and do don't get that very annoying bump when a PR knot is smacking your guides.
I had alot better luck using the triple surgeon's vs the bimini which tended to tangle more on the cast.

[Image: DSC_0154.jpg]

Smith 8’2 with SR20

[Image: DSC_0724---Copy.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0159.jpg]

Blue Jack on Salax 4X, Owner 8/0 Stinger Siwash, Synit Rod

[Image: DSC_0168.jpg]

Note this was the smaller Salas 4X in White/Blue

[Image: DSC_0170.jpg]

Peter with his second large Cubera of the day! Way to go Peter Cubera Slayer. Salas 7X Jig

[Image: DSC_0179.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0180.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0182.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0186.jpg]

Of course the every present, crazy Needlefish. You cast your lure and like 50 yards to the left you see these crazy things half in half out of the water,
and your’re like that thing is not going after my plug, yeah it is, damm he got it...

[Image: DSC_0809.jpg]

John, Ryan, Byran and George on the other Marlargo

[Image: DSC_0739.jpg]

Tuesday – Friday

We fished with Capt Macho on Crazy Jigger the new ’35 Marlargo with twin 250’s – fast.

Macho even let ‘Capt Pedro’ take the wheel and ran in and out a few of the days.

[Image: DSC_0438.jpg]

Our attempt at underwater photography

[Image: DSC_0445.jpg]

Capt Macho called these Blue Jacks but I think they are really Blue Trevella ? this was a good fighter had to tighten the drag down
from a start of #18, probably to #24 and he was still running. Thought I had a Cubera for a minute - Sad

[Image: DSC_0656.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0684.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0695.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0697.jpg]

Dan with Mullet Snapper caught on CM220 Jig, CMT/Bogan 300g 6’ Rod

[Image: DSC_0788.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0633.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0639.jpg]

Raza with Mullet Snapper on Black Tail Walker
[Image: DSC_0646.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0649.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0654.jpg]

Pair of Horse Eye’d Jacks

[Image: DSC_0677.jpg]

Raza with Blue Jack

[Image: DSC_0683.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0690.jpg]

Dan with Blue jack on CM220

[Image: DSC_0697.jpg]

Pargo Chino ! on CM220 by Gravin - 550 feet of water

[Image: DSC_0470.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0474.jpg]

J/M 400g by JPR/CMT

[Image: DSC_0469.jpg]

Snowy Grouper fest @ 550 ft

[Image: DSC_0482.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0460.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0465.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0462.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0486.jpg]

Gravin (Macho’s Son – our excellent Mate for the trip) nailed this Snowy in over 550ft of water.
Jig was CM220 using Peter’s custom Jigging Rod and Shimano Ocea Jigger reel.

[Image: DSC_0500.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0502.jpg]

Peter got a Blueline Tile at the same spot

[Image: DSC_0489.jpg]

Peter with a size Blue Jack on Salas 7X in Blue/White Pattern

[Image: DSC_0378.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0382.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0385.jpg]

This trip we countered some nice sized cuda, they liked the Salas Jig in Tar Baby as well.

[Image: DSC_0312.jpg]

I used this one single jig and Owner 8/0 hook THE ENTIRE TRIP – until the very last day a pack of Sierra Mackerel stole it –
it was destine to be retired to my bookshelf in mere hours and then gone!

Really a great lure and solo easy to work

[Image: DSC_0316.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0315.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0321.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0328.jpg]

Custom Smith with Accurate SR-20

[Image: DSC_0340.jpg]

Synit Popping Rod – very very light

[Image: DSC_0343.jpg]

Synit Rod with Salas 7X Bleeding Tar Baby Owner 8/0 Stinger Siwash

[Image: DSC_0364.jpg]

The Mahi surely where the dominant fish both offshore and any good brush pile or log you found inshore.

Mahi are not very smart the first four or five will bite any lure you flip out to them,
but for me it never got boring and the lodge cooked up Mahi Fritters each night that are to die for.

Here is a nice one on our new Flutter 200g in Pink/White a prototype.

[Image: DSC_0388.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0389.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0392.jpg]

Capt Sergio on the Stamas getting in on the Mahi Mayhem

[Image: DSC_0793.jpg]

More of the Mahi blood bath

[Image: DSC_0811.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0509.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0512.jpg]

Peter and Capt Macho

[Image: DSC_0521.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0550.jpg]

Raza with Sierra Mackerel on Roberts Ranger

[Image: DSC_0818.jpg]

Rasa’s monster Mahi

[Image: DSC_0600.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0606.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0772.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0628.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0748.jpg]

Small Horse Eye Jack that smashed the Salas 7X in Bleeding Tar Baby

[Image: DSC_0402.jpg]

Back at the lodge

[Image: DSC_0569.jpg]

Wanna go?

Join Tackle now and CMT this April for Return of the Giant Yellowfin

Welcome to TackleNow.com!
[signature]
Awesome post but I'm having problems looking at the pictures....
[signature]