Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underwater Cameras
Well first I want to apoligize for bringing up the uw camera topic again.. never was really interested in em till I just took my wife Ice'n and seeing her frustrated with understanding the Vex( tried to explain it to her...but ya know[bobhappy]). Anyway, so so is wanting to go for a underwater camera... ( COOL..I SAY!!! A NEW TOY..YAY). I've been trying to get some info and thought id start here... does anyone have some possitive feedback on them? I've heard quite a few complaints and the Aqua-vu's so I'm trying to get better. I see Marcum has some and Cabelas has them but don't know jack. Really don't want to get a pieceof junk. I see Marcum has a 825c (I think it was- COLOR) but don't how much they go for.. ANYWAY!!! ANY HELP/ADVICE YA HAVE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED... THANKS FRIENDS.. [fishon]
[signature]
I,ve got the fish tv. Comparable to aqua vu. I'm willing to part with it, a carrying bag, and 12v moto batt. Its been used but still like new. The camera is a silver fish with 60" of cable. I also have a ice cube shelter that i dont want anymore if anyone is interested pm me. sorry not tryng to turn your thread into a ad.
[signature]
A few years back i bought an underwater color camera off of ebay and plugged it into my monitor, all I saw was black in deep water. The camera worked great at home but not so good under the ice. I now own the Cabelas underwater panning camera and love it. Just put the camera on the bottom and use the remote to pan the camera until you see your jig. The last time I was at Cabelas their were quite a few of them in the bargain cave.
[signature]
Cameras are fun when you get into waters that aren't dark and murky. Even with the lights on them you really don't see more than a couple feet away. But if I had to suggest one it would be the cableas pan camera. You can buy a weight or make your own to put on the bottom of it to keep it level and then just push the button to pan one way or the other. It also has a pretty good picture on it.
[signature]
I use an aquaview (with the big silver fish). Out of the box I don't know how it would be that useful for anyone. Cousin was ready to throw it away after the first couple of uses until we modified it. We modified ours using a hanger to create a stand for the "fish" to set level on the lake bottom. (I understand now that these "stands" can be purchased ready made...). Since when you ice fish (in a shack of course...the camera is WORTHLESS without a shack...too bright outside) you usually drill all your holes in a line, we found that upon initial setup, we have to lift the fish from the bottom, and pan it manually (lift the fish from the bottom...twist the cord to turn the fish...set it back down on the bottom) until we see our lures...then we leave it alone the rest of the day. If set up properly, one can see all 4 jigs (2 fisherman...2 poles each) all in a line. We drill a 5th hole at the end just for the camera. What the others said above is true about visibility. Bright days down to about 40 feet usually works good. 25 feet is awesome. Cloudy dark days, lots of snow and slush, deeper water, and you are lucky to see two feet. We love the camera and use it whenever we can. The fishfinder is our primary weapon however!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Hey thanks forthe info j1015. I finally found the priceson those MarCums and MAN O MAN.... definatly not in my budget...LOL 600.00 and 700.00 for dem badboys... so I'll going to the Bargain cave for a peak.. thanks for the reply.. do you have success with it all the time? Or is there times it plays heck seein stuff?
[signature]
I bought the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat601245-cat21400&id=0043175019011a&navCount=1&podId=0043175&parentId=cat21400&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true"]Cabelas camera[/url] earlier this year and it has been a lot of fun. When I bought it the 5" screen was on sale for $80. Seeing a big fish take your lure and watching it get reeled out of view was kind of fun. But like was already mentioned, visibility can be an issue, especially in murky waters. Also, the biggest problem I have is keeping the camera pointed in the direction you want. I guess the camera with the motorized panning feature would take care of that problem but until then I'm thinking of buying this [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0073840020832a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=camera+compass&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0"]cheap little plastic thing[/url] to solve that problem.

Lately, I've been wanting to be able to record some of the things I see underwater, but I want something compact so I can take it our onto the lake with me. This is the [url "http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm"]latest thing[/url] I've found, but I've yet to try it. It's like a compact DVR.
[signature]
I got my Marcum with a 60 ft cord for $199 at Fish Tech. I thought it was really cool at first but now I don't really use it.
[signature]
with the vision issues is it because the camera IR lighting can not penetrate through much "cloudiness" or murk in the water, or is it that they just dont go that far in depths greater than say 30 feet?

Is this something that one of those green or white LED underwater fishing lights on a 50 foot cord would solve?

I am just thinking about getting the small cabelas unit for my boat, I was also thinking of getting a small fishing light to drop over the side too.

If there was some way to intertwine the cables and have the light maybe 5 feet up the cord from the camera to broadcast light down and around do you think that would help any of the vision issues with the cameras distance?

hhmm...back to the thinking shack.
[signature]
Think of the clouded water just like driving in the fog or a heavy snowstorm. The problem is two fold -- one seeing through stained water is difficult just by itself and a light shining on the cloudy water can cause reflection back similar to using the high beams on a car in fog or a heavy snowstorm.
[signature]
I have the Marcum 820. Very cool. 4 light settings. Incredible detail. I use it mostly at night fishing burbot. Awesome. You get what you pay for.
[signature]
Underwater cameras are fun. But it will increase your frustration level when you see the fish just looking at your lure.

For an inexpensive alternate check eBay. Search for "underwater fishing camera". There is one listed for $40.00 plus shipping. You get the camera, monitor, battery and battery charger. No Case.

It is identical to the old MarCum VS 350. I bought one and it works good.

I bought this to replace the camera for my MarCum VS 350. The camera quit working. Bad wiring in the camera cable. MarCum wanted $150.00 for a new camera.
[signature]
FishingFourFun,

I looked on ebay for that $40 camera you told me about at Rockport a few weeks ago, and was unable to find it. Do you think you could find the name of the seller/store that had them? I'd like to invest in one to keep my boys interested in fishing! Also, what have you found regarding the murky waters and light penetration issues that have been mentioned in the previous posts?
[signature]
On eBay search "underwater fishing camera". The $40.00 camera is the third one on the list.
[signature]
On eBay under "buy it now" it is the second item. On "all items" it is the third item. I hope this helps.
[signature]
As to your question about visibility. When you were looking at our setup at Rockport the camera was about 7.5 feet from the lure. Thats when you saw me catch the fish.

A couple of years ago at Causey we set the fishing poles about 20 feet from the tent and were watching the lures from inside the tent. That day were were by the dam and I would guess that we could see fish about 40 feet away. We were in about 25 feet of water.

Your kids will like the camera.
[signature]
Since my 1st post I have been searching the web and came accross a Nautical underwater panning camera.. the sucker listed for 900.00 and is on sale for 400.00 called the business located in Florida. Asked if they had some kind of customer review section.. he said no due to not ever having any bad feedback...and asked why it was from 9 to 400.00 bucks.. response was that making room for the newer models.. I don't know if I can mention the web site.. and if not I apoligize in advance..LOL. BUT.. I really want to find the best deal for my money.. any feedback you all might have (good deal/bad deal) would really be helpful. Website is LuLuusa.com take a peak and see what you think and please give me your Ice'n opinion.. thanks friends[fishon]
[signature]
the best fix i found for the direction is to point the camera strate down the hole.. looking down on the jig is much easyer then trying to line up the jig from the side.. and it don't seen to spook the fish as much.. like this video i put on youtube.

[url "http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzyron#p/u/6/PBlyUg1KMWg"]http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzyron#p/u/6/PBlyUg1KMWg[/url]

check out the perch in the muddy water of yuba..
[signature]
You seem to know a bit about cameras, so I have one question....On this eBay Camera....it has everything that you would need I think, but how does the lighting work on this model? Infared, or visiable light?

Thanks ,
Shawn
[signature]
Where we've had the most fun with the underwater camera is video taping the action during a good bite. We have footage from Huntington, East Canyon and Pineview from over the years that is really cool to go back and watch. Of course, none of those shots came from deeper than about 35 feet. Below there, it does get kind of dark.
[signature]