Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canoe Fishing Gear
I have an Old Town Guide 147 canoe that i'm am going to make in to a fishing machine. I am going to add a removable fish finder, stabilizers, a few rod holders, and cup holders. I am thinking about an trolling motor but just not sure yet. I live in mountain home so my primary waters are arround CJ.

Any of you have fishing canoes?
[signature]
I have used one in the past, I now have toon and float tube, was trying to set my canoe up.
[signature]
I have a 17' Coleman Scanoe that I bought in '94. Since then I have bought and sold 3 power boats but can't imagine selling the Scanoe. It's a fish catching machine! I have a old electric troll motor I use on it sometimes but not always. Fish finder too but the best investment was some folding seats made for canoes. Need some back support if you’re going to be out more than a few hours. Everything clips or clamps on so I just rig the canoe for whatever I'm doing that day. At one time I did have a 7 hp motor on it but that's another story!
[signature]
Thanks for the good advice. I do have a backrest for mine but it is injection molded from the factory but, it isn't padded. 7Hp on the back of a canoe, sounds like a great time!
[signature]
Fishing Lake Superior in the spring of 89 just right for the canoe ! 2-cannons , hummingbird fish finder, and a paddle it worked well !
[signature]
well I have a set of outriggers now and a fish finder mounted on top of a small cooler. Im still thinking of a small trolling motor but have not picked one up yet. The canoe is very stable now so I have been wanting to take my figity dog with me soon. Maybe just maybe get in some duck hunting with it as well.
[signature]
can you post pictures of your outriggers?
[signature]
I will post pictures once I locate my SD card for my camera. I got them from cabelas, but the fabricator is Spring Creek at canoegear.com
[signature]
I was just going through old threads and am curious how your canoe worked out for you. I have the same canoe and am interested in the outriggers. I have a couple of kayaks I have pimped out for fishing but the canoe would be fun for sure.
Not sure how the fish finder worked out for you but if you weren't happy with it I might have an idea or two as I have done a few kayaks.
[signature]
The canoe works out great with the outriggers. I'm going to try bow fishing out of it this spring. I am happy with the cooler mounted fish finder but i am open to ideas. I mainly used a small cooler because it gave me the versatility to move it as i please. I need to get some pictures up on them. I when out and bought a new SD card for the camera but I forgot about this thread.
[signature]
Cool. I found for a fish finder I just use a battery holder that holds 8 AA batteries with a 9v plug on the end and a 9v end spliced to the power wire on the finder. You can get that at radio shack. It lasts me 20 hours or so. I have two and use rechargable batteries.
I started with a larger 12v battery in a dry box but this is much simpler and more compact. You can keep the battery pack in a small dry bag or a tupperware deal.
If you get a trolling motor I guess the power issue is taken care of.
I also seem to be ok with my transducer mounted inside the boat shooting through the hull. A permanent mount with marine goo. Not sure if that is something you want or maybe you already did it.
Look forward to seeing it sometime, gives me an idea for a spring project.
[signature]
I have my fish finder hooked up to a motorcycle battery at the moment for size and weight isues. Seemed to have the right balance for what i needed. I have been fishing for all most 3 days straight camping and still have not charged my battery. I know my battry life would be way diffrent if i had a trolling motor. I am still very torn about it. I see the merits but at the same time i like to paddle the canoe. I have a suction cup mount for my transducer. so i can stick it on to about anything. I had to modify the suction cup mount as it was from a diffrent company. It works well and i have not had it come off while on the water.
[signature]
Sounds like you got a setup working good for you. The suction cup is handy for sure on the transducer. It could be a pain with a permanent mount on a canoe for sure trying to del with the wire issue all the time. On the kayak (sit on top) it is in the hull and pretty much out of the way all of the time.
I know what you mean about the trolling motor. I really just like to paddle...I like it a lot. Then there are those times you think it would be nice to get a bit further out without having to worry about paddling back. I have thought about rigging the kayak up myself but I just really enjoy paddling.
[signature]