Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of ???
I have read the turm ""slow rolling"" a lure or bait.What does it mean? Also when I read that fish are being caught in 20ft of water or fish are being caught in 40 ft of water, does that mean it is the depth to the bottom of the lake?or are they catching them at 20ft depth in say a 70ft deep area?please help
[signature]
Well first of all welcome to BFT and I hope your time here will be good for you and good for us.

I am not sure on the slow rolling term, but a guess would be that the lures action is a slow turn rather than a quick when reeled in on a slow retrieve.

Concerning the depth of fish being caught when I report a depth I tell the actual depth I caught or marked the fish at but usually include the total depth of that area as well.
[signature]
slow rolling...

Is throwing a lure (usually a spinner bait) into heavy brush or cover and slowly reeling the lure up over a limb or pile of rocks then letting it slowly sink back to the bottom and wait a few seconds, Then repeat.

If done properly you won't get hung up very often and it's a deadly technique in heavy brush piles on lakes and rivers.

Depth...

If an angler says he is catching bass or crappie at 20 feet he means 20 feet from the surface of the water regardless of the actual depth to the bottom.
[signature]