Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best time fishing green river?
Planing my first trip to fish green this spring. Is April a good time or is it too early?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
[signature]
April can be a great time on the Green. If the weather is warm you can get away fishing big nasty terrestrials like crickets, beetles, hoppers, and ants... thats what I like to do... if you can get away with it. sometimes they are picky in april, and don't really start eating on top, but I have had some very, very good days in april. Dont leave nymphing out of the equation though. day in, day out, nymphs will take a plethora of nice bows and browns, and possibly even some whitefish. there are more whitefish in the Green than people know... I'd even take some double bunnies, zonkers, articulated patterns, and some big buggers. Streamer fishing can be downright phenominal at times. make sure you go prepared. You can always drift a bugger too, and trail it with a small nymph... never fails
[signature]
Bluewings anyone????

The Green produces 12 months out of the year. There are times that offer different opportunities, but as a regulated tailwater, it is good all year long. April can produce epic baetis hatches.
[signature]
Anytime before or after recreational floaters start.
[signature]
when is that?
[signature]
The Green fishes well all year, the drive in the winter gets a little dicey though. April should really pick up with some warmer days. BWO's, WD40's, Zebra Midges and Glo-Bugs. Get to it.
[signature]
Before. school is out and after school starts.
[signature]
I would second what Remo 5 0 said. And would add think very small ! Sizes 20 - 22 are the best sizes for anything there. You may even want to tie some size 24 all thread bodied midges. Olive, and black are the two best colors. PM and I will send you a photo of what I tie up for this time of year on the Green.

I have seen days in April when the midge hatch is so thick the fish pass up the Baetis and just suck the things down like candy.

God luck
[signature]