Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawfish/Crawdad flies W/pictures!!
In less then a week I'm going to go on a fly tying spree (this is how I have chosen to spend my spring break this year!!). And one of the flies on my list is going to be a Crawfish. I have done some research on the internet, watching videos, reading recipes and what not and I have a pretty good idea of what they look like. Do any of you have any good tips or special adaptations you have made to this patter to make it preform better or make it easier to tie? Thanks for any help!
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Hi there doolay - perhaps these instructions might help you out. Basically color, size & shape should be your major concern. Getting too technical can sometimes get in the way of tying an acceptable pattern. Good luck.[/#008000][/font]
[center][url "http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/112700fotw.php"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#bf0000]Crawfish_pattern[/#bf0000][/font][/url]
[signature]
awesome link mi amigo.. :-) .. Im thinking some rivers in TN.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod, that looks like a really nice fly, I like how easy that would be to tie and it will get me in practice for when I spin bass bugs!!
[signature]
I dont know how to ty crawfish ( or anything really)[Smile] but
I love using that fly for bass.
I was told that they work really good on big brown trout
as well.
Sorry that I could not help but I tought that I just share[angelic]

Peter
[signature]
the more we know about what can be caught the better we can use a specific fly.. :-)..

the only problem I could see trying to tie that fly, for me anyway, is tying down that deer hair to make the body..

is there another material that could be used instead.. say dubbing maybe..??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The only problem I see with the deer hair is that it will
make that fly float. Not many crayfish float...........
The ones I use are made of dubbing and stuff like that.

Peter
[signature]
Most of the crayfish flies I have found surfing the web have used dubbing for the body. I think that I'm going to take more of the dubbing approach when doing this fly, that way it will be easier to hid some led wire in to body to make it sink a bit faster.
[signature]
Yes I agree most crawdads don't float, unless they are dead! haha

I have heard that big trout love crawdads so I think I will try them on this river I fish in that holds some nice sized browns!

And yes any tips on fishing are greatly appreciated!!
[signature]
it would be great to see pictures of your fly and the fish you catch with it.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
No problem. As soon as I get some tied up I will take pictures. I don't think I will get any fishing done with them until the spring but as soon as I do pictures will be up!
[signature]
There is no question that we have Crayfish in our waters. This guy smacked my Haresear and actually put up a fair fight[laugh]

[Image: ScofieldOctober074505.jpg]

Okay, easy Crayfish:

A larger Streamer hook like #2 or #4.
Tie in some dumbbell eyes on the top of the BEND area. Actually you can tie the dumbbell at either end depending on how you want it to float.
Burnt Orange Zonker, and Scud Back
Red Chenille

[Image: IMG_2492.jpg]
[signature]
sounds like a deal to me... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
dang that thing looks bigger than some of the fish I caught last year...lol...

nice fly.. looks simple to tie... course you make everything look simple to tie sis .. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Crayfish can be feisty little buggers, I have caught a few on shiners out of Scofield.

I like the claws on that one, looks very realistic. Tomorrow I'm picking up the stuff I need (new vise included on this list of new and exciting stuff!!) and then hitting the bench.

Thanks for all the help you all have given me some great guidance, and have really inspired on this fly.
[signature]
Got a few tied up and they look nice, didn't have my camera with me though so no pictures yet. Will have them tomorrow.
[signature]
I wanna se, I wanna see[laugh]
[signature]
patience sis.. you know what they say about good things coming to those who wait.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Here they are, the pictures of my Crayfish flies!!!!
[signature]
Got 'em tied up I have pictures in post right above this one, just thought I would put in the parts list

Hook: Large streamer or nymph hook
Claws: Crayfish orange Squirrel Zonkers
Feelers: Centipede legs
Eyes: Bead Chain
Body: Crayfish orange dubbing
Ribbing: Small red wire
Carpus: Skud Back
[signature]