Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foul hook
I'm not sure what my problem is, but I havent hooked a fish in the mouth the last few times I've been out, I know the bite is light but my reaction time must be really off. I took my five year old up to weber river Monday for the first time and was helping him cast and showing how to watch the strike indicator and he goes Dad isnt that a fish, so I set and sure enough it was, now how did he see it and I did'nt. Anyone got any advice for me. I feel bad foul hooking these guys in their back.[crazy]
[signature]
well this is just me but......

1. what size indicator are you using?
2. how are your drifts doing? i had the same problem all year last year when it was the end of the day and i was beat, turns out it was my drifts.
3. if your using nymph's, how far apart is your dropper from your main fly?

thats just me, but maybe they might help. since the bite it so lite i switched to the smallest Thingamabobber they make and it made a world of differance. i paid very close attention to my mends, and use at a minimum a 9 inch drop from the top fly. hope that little bit helps.
[signature]
Use one fly. You can catch plenty of trout without dragging the whole darn fly box past them. Millions and millions of trout have been caught using ONE fly on the leader. You might even catch more!

Maybe an eye exam? (If your son sees it, and you don't, it could be the eyes?)
[signature]
last time I was out with kochanut I learned a good lesson, he was catching fish and I wasnt. he gave me his spot and said theres lots of fish holding in here. what i thought were slight snags on the bottom with rocks were actually were small bites. wasnt till he left I figured that out, pulled in more slack mended my line and just a slight hook set is all it took. hope that helps. it helped me a bunch.
[signature]
I suck at nymphing. But I've done much better this year mainly because I've been using smaller indicators. It just seems like the light takes are huge on a small indicator and I react a lot quicker. Just a thought.
[signature]
If you just can't see the strike indicator as well as your son get your eyes checked. Also as mentioned it's much easier to detect light strikes with one fly tied on. The only time I bother fishing 2 flies is when fishing really big rivers which we have very few here in Utah. When I fish 1 fly I never bother with a strike indicator at all. It just slows me down a bit overall messing with it. I'll catch fewer fish because my fly will end up being out of the water a bit more. If you haven't fished much lately maybe it's just getting the feel of those light strikes again.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips I think I'll try a smaller indicator, I use a yarn thing I can trim down, and I'll try one fly and see what happens there I was just taught to use two so I always have. My eyes might be bad but I swear its snowing outside right now and I don't like it.[Smile]
[signature]