Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undecided on what I want to tie
Well I have been in the tying mood lately and that means full fly box for when I get out. the problem is I cant decide what I want to tie next. I have tied a bunch of different dries, nymphs, and a few streamers but who knows what I want to tie now. Is there a pattern that you all think is a must have? If so please let me know so that I can give it a go. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
have you tried a flashback pheasant tail nymph??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yes man, that is one of the nymphs that have tied lately. I have my fly box stocked with them. they have been working pretty good. I guess I should have noted what I have been tying nymph wish. I

Flashbacks
stoneflies
rubber legs
prince nymphs
hairs ears, bead head, fur hackle
AP blacks

a couple others but I cannot remember Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming please.
[signature]
Renegade and double renegade!! My go to fly out here in Utah! I like to take some glow bug yarn and give them a really short orange tail, there's something about the tail that fish just love!
[signature]
Second the Renegades but also CHIRONOMIDS and SCUDS and SOW BUGS
These are main food source ANYTIME
[signature]
ahhhhhhh back to the oooey gooey.. :-)..

MacFly
[signature]
you may also want to try the diawl bach .. here is a video on how to tie it..

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH5FTOGuZy0"]Diawl Bach[/url]

or a fritz fly.. here are some step by steps on that one as well

[url "http://www.diptera.co.uk/patterns/f/fritz_black_green.html"]Fritz Fly[/url]

or you could try a bi-polar worm or bugger...

[url "http://www.mwflytying.com/patterns/bi_polar.html"]bi-polar flies[/url]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Dang guys now I have a list of things to tie. I expecially like the movies. flygoddess do you tie your coronamids with just black thread a small wire with a wing case either orange or red? Some I have tied are with and with out bead heads.
[signature]
also are you mostly fishing these flies in lakes and ponds? Or do you fish them in Rivers and streams as well?
[signature]
The base on my Chronies is thread. I will rib with color wire or cover thread with V rib/Flex tubing.
Some with a white tuft out by the eye, or in a Wulff fashion behind a bead.
I like the beads as it helps it sink faster. But I should add BUZZERS to that list. Look up the You Tube of the Blue Buzzer....This fly is awesome!
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]I like a gray gnat. Quick to tie [/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]and loved by little wildies. [/#008000][/font]
[center][inline GHGN.jpg]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]A little late for St. Patty's day, but fun to tie.[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]A [/#008000][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Leprechaun
[/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "Irish Leprechaun.jpg"]
[signature]
hey mi amigo.. is there a difference between your grey gnat and a griffiths gnat.. ?? just curious..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I whipped up some stimulators this weekend and can't wait for the stones and caddises to start hatching!
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]It is one in the same. However, have seen many versions of a Griffith Gnat.[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]This one is called a black gnat. Go figure.[/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "33 gnat black.jpg"]
[signature]
I had thought so but wanted to make sure.. as for variations.. lol.. any fly Ive looked up on line usually has several ways they are tied.. the phrase "this is how I like to do it" seems to be the common caveat in almost all the videos.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
To me making your own variation is a good part of the fun of tying. When you start thinking things like: "I like this fly, but..." is when you get your imagination going.

It is even fun to walk through a craft store and see new materials that might work on a fly that you have in mind. Some variation that no one else has tried. --

There is a lot of holographic ribbon out there now. Who stole the bows off of all the Christmas packages???[blush]

Well, maybe not as bad as that, but you get the idea!
[signature]
could not agree with you more.. as they say neccessity is the mother of invention.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]