Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed: lake fishing from shore
Hi all,

Just wondering how you guys fish for trout in lakes from shore.

Instead of hitting the rivers this weekend when trout season opens, I'm going to try a local lake. It's Furnace Lake in Oxford, NJ for those that are familiar with it. It's about 10 to 12 feet deep from what I've been told. There is some shoreline that can be waded into...I'm not sure what the drop offs are so I probably won't wade much.

I'm familiar with fishing in a river for stocked trout. Since the lake doesn't have any inlets or outlets, there isn't much current if any.

I was planning on using a bob with about a 2 to 3ft leader below it. I may rig two hooks but will start with 1. I have Powerbait pellets and may pick up some meal or butter worms (never really had luck with nightcrawlers).

I also plan on using some spinners (Roostertails, Panther Martins) and fan cast.

If there are any additional techniques/tips you guys can share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all going out this weekend.
[signature]
First off welcome to BFT.

I have a few things l like to do from shore when trout fishing.

1. Fly and a casting bubble. Go and pick up some spin casting bubbles, there usually clear and you can fill them with water. Fill them about half way up then tie on about 6-8 feet of leader. I like to tie on either woolly buggers or renegades. Those seem to bet the best for me me. But pretty much any of your favorite flies will work. As far as colors of them, I like purple and olive buggers and the standard colors for other flies. Retrieve extreamly slow!! As slow as you can stand.

2. Use a fly rod with the same flies. Just cast out and strip back in. Again a pretty slow retrieve.

3. Spinners are always a good choice. My go to spinner is the blue fox vibax in gold or silver, depending on the day. Jake's spin-a-lure are pretty good as well.

I'm not at all familiar with the lake you are fishing, seeing as I'm from Utah and have never even been to NJ. But good luck on your fishing adventure!
[signature]
Welcome to the site!

When I fish from shore, I like to use the fly and bubble method and spoons. Spinners are good too!
[signature]
Thanks guys for your help. I will try the float method with one rod and then alternate between spoons, spinners, and flies (on a spinning rod) on my second rod.

Good luck to all that are going out this weekend.
[signature]
welcome to BFT. when I'm on a lake fishing for trout I like to use two hooks and have one with powerbait and one with a meal worm with an egg sinker and let it sit out there. That is my go to way to catch them when the spoons aren't working. I've also tried the fly and casting bubble as mentioned before but haven't had any luck with it.
[signature]
Are you wanting to fish, or set on the shore with poles in the water waiting?

If your wanting to cast fsh I would use spoons, Rooster Tails, and Joe Flies. Use a moderate retrieve. Also trout seem to like the color pink on bright sunny days, and those spinners which look like live bait.

For bank "sit and wait" style fishing use a big enough hook to put two Berkley PowerBait Eggs on (I use the White and Sunrise colors, they work well for me.) Also, slide a mealworm on the end of the hook with the two eggs, cast out as far as you can, set your pole in a pole holder, attach a bobber or something to the line between two of the eyes on the pole and let it hang about 7-10 inches below the pole, when the bobber raises your getting a bite, once it rises to the pole, set the hook!

As for rigging for the "Sit and wait" style I use 6lb test line, use as big as a worm sinker as you want, based on how far you need to cast, place a bead on the line after the sinker, then tie a barrel swivel to the line. (This allows the line to slide through the sinker so the fish does not feel the tension of the sinker, the beat acts to protect your knot.) On the other end of the barrel swivel tie a leader approx. 12-14 inches in length, then your hook to the other end, bait up, and your ready to rock and roll!

Happy Fishing hopes this helps!
[signature]