Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
practaice?
so i have been attempting to teach myself to fly fish. so far i pretty much suck. i've managed to catch two rainbows from my tube in jordanelle and two little brookies on dries in big cottonwood in probably 6-8 trips out. only once one the still water. my question is where is a good close place to practaice and what is a good all purpose go to fly to try? i've used wolly buggers at jordanelle and that seems pretty straight forawrd. caddis and mosquito were my successful dries. i've tried the nymphing thing but have really no idea what im doing. i would like to practaice a bit and learn a little more before i go on some good summer outtings so i have a better grasp of what im doing to avoid frustration and getting out my spinning rod. im trying to break up with that rod but its hard.
[signature]
where do you live is my first question.... the community ponds are a great place to hone your skills without going far.
[signature]
Ill second kochanuts suggestion and say I go to a local little lake and just try different things.. like last week I went and tried several flies until I tied on a renegade and caught a decent sized bluegill near some weed beds..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I agree. local ponds are the best way to go. once again welcome to the fun and frustration. lol.
[signature]
i guess that is vital info huh? in my little world everyone lives in the sl valley.[Wink] i live in murray. i have tried willow pond a few times with my spinning gear but it seems like no matter when you're there, so is everyone else. not enough room. i take my kids to the ponds on 11700 s and 700 e. thats a cool sopt but too many trees to try a fly rod.
[signature]
Then practice a ROLL CAST. It will be the cast you use more than anything.
I go to willow to practice or try out new flies and I stand right under the trees.
A roll cast will work anywhere.
The idea and visual of a Fly Fisher flinging line and fly through are is what everyone sees. It is great for getting a long cast or drying out a fly, but not needed 98% of the time. In fact it can do more damage at times not only in breaking rods and loosing flies, but spooking fish.

http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/wu...cs_05.aspx

Check out the master!
[signature]
When things warm up a little the Uinta's is a wonderful place to hone your fly fishing skills both for streams and float tubing. Lots of fish and usually hungry.
[signature]
wouldnt she be the mistress of fly fishing? [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have no idea on her personal life but she is the master of Roll Casting[sly]
[signature]
Hey,
I will pratice with you at Willow if you want. I do pretty good there most times. I am not in the same league casting as Joni or others, but I do ok. I ues nymphs under an
indicator at willow. If ya want to give it a try let me know.[Wink]

pa
[signature]
Rumor has it that Joan uses "trained " line[Wink]
[signature]
Sure it wasn't Lee[Wink][Wink]
[signature]
I'm sure Lee was just like any other married fly fisherman
"Trained " but had no clue he was.
[signature]
lol... Ill be quiet now.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the video clip. Now that I know what is supposed to happen with a roll cast I am going to go pull out my 4 weight and do a little practicing in the yard.[Smile]
[signature]
You need water. That is the Sad part. You need the water resistance to practice a roll cast.
I have made leaders with allot of knots (looked like barbwire) that worked okay on the lawn, but on water it is soooooo easy, and no more lost flies.
[signature]
I tookmy 6 wt out on the front lawn and started to get the hang of things. Now to try it onthe water.[cool]
[signature]