Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern California Saltwater Report 7/30-8/5

Hey there guys,

This starts a new week of Southern California Landings Catch Reports

Way Up North- Avila
Catches were good for Halibut and various Rockfish.

Up North- Channel Islands
WSB, Rockfish plus many other types of fish are being caught.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calicos and Barracudas are really small but enough legals to warrent the trip. Yellowtails are showing in good numbers and a few small ones are being caught. I caught my first swimbait caught Yellowtail today. One of two on the boat.

Further South- San Clememte
Calicos were biting last time I heard.

San Diego- Albacore and Local
Multi-day boats and charter operations are doing well in catching Albies around 100 miles from Point Loma. The local bite is limping along with low numbers of fish per rod.

LA Local
I will revise this portion when I get an update of confirmable information to pass along.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Southern California Saltwater

Report for July 31, 2003 (Thursday)

Way Up North-Avila
Albies and a variety of other fish made up the respectable counts today

Got a really mixed bag of bass, barracuda, halibut, rockfish and.... Oh Ya 81 WSB caught by 27 anglers on one boat! ha ha

LA Area- Catalina Island
Limits on Calicos and lots of Barracuda today with the WSB and YT counts not showing as good as you would hope.

Futher South- San Clemente
Calicos and a few yellows here and there.

Albacore boats can almost do no wrong while the local bit on Bass and Barracuda is nothing compared to that up further north.

LA Local
Wow I can't believe SMB finally give MDR and Redondo a chance at decent bass counts but they did OK comparitively speaking of course.

Many landings in the South Bay and down to Newport were able to report around 1500 sand bass counts (per landing) and the Calicos and Barracuda bites weren't too bad either.
We got a lot of cold water but it didn't seem to hurt the bite too bad around Huntington Flats. Victory and the Native Sun were doing limits and the Persuit was limiting too. Pierpoint's Premier seem to be doing well, whether it's going to Catalina or down to the Flats. Go on a 3/4 and be reasonably sure of a limit of sandies if you want to stock the freezer. I still say the bite will not last forever so get 'em while you can.

JapanRon

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report on August 1, 2003

WoW!!! ALL LANDINGS in the South Bay except one got over 1,000 sandbass today. Limits today for the Victory and Premier.

Blue Horizon got limits of albies down SD way!

Way Up North- Avila
Halibut and Rockfish made a good showing today.

Up North- Channel Island
WSB, Calicos and Rockfish counts really good today.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calicos and Barracuda make a good showing for the few sporties that decided to pass up the sand bass fishing. Yellows breezing thru with some having decent counts.

Albacore fishing is just crazy with limits and limits. The blue horizon did good today with limits on the albies.

LA Local
SMB didn't have anything special on the counts. Landings south of Point Fermin to Newport just killed the sand bass today with some landings almost topping 2,000 sandbass. The barracuda counts are a bit down but who cares.

I'll go Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday again next week too. Cat-a-li-na here I come, right back where I star-ted from........ he he he More Yellows on the swimbaits perhaps?!

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 2, 2003 (Saturday)

MDR finally got 1,000+ sandbass for the landing! Course they had a zillion guys on the boats to! Redondo did pretty good to for a change on the sand bass.

Way Up North- Avila
Good fishing for albies and some rockfish.

Lots of different fish caught with big counts of WSB for a number of boats. Really interesting fishing up there with the variety.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calicos counts good with barracuda and yellows zooming by pretty often. I'll bet the PBer's are having an easy time with the sporties occupied elsewhere.

Further South- San Clemente
Good Calico counts with lots of yellow sighted buy alas not caught.

San Diego- Albies and Local
Albies fishing world class but, as has been the usual for the last 3 months the fishing on the Oceanside to SD open-party boats is an underwhelming 3 fish per rod WoW!!! I'd shoot myself if 1/2 and 3/4 day trips were my only option. ha ha

LA Local
Fantastic fishing but on the weekend there are just too many people on the boats..... good anglers or whatever. Between 250 and 450 people at some of the landings. Give me a break. Any boat and I mean any boat that carries more than 60 anglers on a trip would be a boat I wouldn't put a foot on that day.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 3, 2003 (Sunday)

Way Up North- Avila
Albacore and Halibut were the fish of the day!

Lots of WSB for a number of boats as well as a whole bunch of different fish caught.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calicos still strong but didn't get much info on what the yellows did.

Calicos biting really well with few yellows showing interest according to the skimpy info I got.

Albie fishing still thru the roof with the local bite pretty medocare. The Mission Belle did get limits of bass.

LA Local
Lots of boats got limits today or at least good counts. The Redondo Special, Victory, and Premier either got limits or close to. Not so many 1000+ landing today but then again numbers of anglers was down too.

Again, go on a 3/4 if you can. One 1/2 boat I often check got a decent count but it took 64 people to do it! 64! Doh! I see it all the time, well most usually, pack a 1/2 day boat on the weekend and watch the fish per rod count plumet!

I'll be on the boats the next 3 days and will make report accordingly. It's tough having to fish so hard this season.

JapanRon
[signature]
that premeir boat is a loud one!!! we heard them from about 200 yards away! the generator is SUPER loud!

joe
[signature]

Hi there DH_tubinjoe,

You're absolutely right. There's a number of things I don't particularily like about the design of the boat but that's for another time. ha ha

We got to Catalina in an hour and 45 minutes which is pretty fast and returned from around the corner of west end to the dock in just 2 hours. That's pretty fast in my book for that big and wide beamed boat.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 4, 2003 (Monday)

Way Up North- Avila
Nice Albacore counts today.

Up North- Channel Island
Tons of WSB with Port Hueneme and Channel Island Sportfishing Center leading the way

LA Area- Catalina Island
Catalina bite saw both Calico and some barracuda filling sacks.

Calicos biting with YT still on the shy side.

Albacore wide open for almost all boats. Local bite amounts to nearly nothing when looking at the sportie counts. Private Boaters? That's a whole different story.

LA Local
Bass bite was off today and the angler numbers were also down. Main action around Huntington Flats.

JapanRon
[signature]
only 2 hours!?!?! geez! what is that 14 knots?

joe
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 5, 2003 (Tuesday)

Way Up North- Avila Beach
Albie count very good along with the rockfish.

Up North- Channel Island
Lots of rockfish and White Sea Bass. Port Hueneme and CISC still doing great on the WSB!

LA Area- Catalina Island
Same O Same O lots of Calicos Barracuda but lot of sporties hanging around Huntington Flats for the Sand Bass.

Calicos doing fine with yellows handing around but not biting consistantly.

San Diego- Albacore and Locl
Albie fishing just fantastic but the local fishing.... I almost give up. Their landing counts are zilth. I guess one guy on the boats catch all the fish. LA area a whole different story. SD guys you must all be privite boaters!!

LA Local
The count for the landings was way low. Reason: The numbers going fishing was wayyyyyyyyyy lowwwwwwwwww. Limits of bass for most of the 3/4 day and some of the 1/2 day boats.
Victory got 340 sand bass for 30 anglers huh? what? See the Western Pride, Enterprise, Persuit and the Pierpoint out on the flats pretty often recently.

DoDo's seen on the kelp patties in San Diego!! Doh!

JapanRon
[signature]

Hi DH_tubinjoe,

Ya, the trip there was only 1 hour 45 minutes. I don't think Danny opened it up on the way back because we had so many fish to clean. We ain't the US Navy that can afford to put super-charged, turbine engines in our boat to go 30 knots ya know!!!! ha ha ha

Whats the fastest sportie you go over your way? Just curious.

JapanRon
[signature]
I went on the Dolphin out of Islandia Sportfishing, and from the bait receiver to the la jolla kelp flats was only like 20 minutes. ususally it takes longer, or so I'm told. It seemed like we were going pretty fast. maybe 13 knots. I am not sure. It was a rather new boat, I think.

I am just curious, what are the pro's and con's about the new Premier???

I was at work on monday, and I told the other deckies that there is a robert on the premier. and they just started punching me in the arms and stuff. it was all fun though. "how do you know that, Joe.... you been fishin' on other boats??"

It was funny.

joe
[signature]
Joe what city is the dolphin from. O i think i remember you saying that to robert this monday nd he got all butt hurt about it.

raUL
[signature]
the dolphin is from islandia sportfishing down in san diego.
I went there last year when I was in mission bay in san diego. this year we are going on the BLUE HORIZON fishin' for the albies.... I can't wait. I am sooooooooo excited!

joe
[signature]