Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cocoa Beach Red Catching
Redfish<br><br><'((((>< ! First the bad news, just as soon as the Redfish are starting to school again the water cools down and the wind picks up. Now the GOOD NEWS, There are a lot of single reds all over the Indian River and most of them are slot sized fish. Most of our catches this past week have come on top water plugs, however, a few where caught on live finger mullet. For those of you who have fished with me in the past you know that the reds must have been real picky for me to put live bait in the boat. That is why I am happy to report that they are feeding on the surface once again. The main difference this week is we caught a few on a different lure. I have been trying out Storm's 3/4 oz Chug Bug. I have only used this plug for a few days now but have been impressed with the way fish strike this lure. <br><br>When looking for the reds this next week, look for large schools of bait working 20 40 feet from the shoreline. All of the reds we have caught this past week have been in 2 feet or less just inside of the bait. Also these next few weeks should be a great time for those of you wanting to hook into a bull red in the Banana River. If the wind ever dies down to the point you can fish the deeper edge of the flats the big reds will be there. Last year during this time we had many days on the Banana River where we didn't boat a red under 40 inches. Keep in mind thought that these fish will be moving very fast in search of food and sometimes you only get one or two good casts at them before they are out of range. The good news here is that if you miss a school, don't worry, most of the time they will come right back to the same spot soon. <br><br>Trout<br><br>Trout fishing has continued to pick up this week. All of our larger fish have been caught on top water pulgs and the larger numbers of fish have been caught on sinking twitch baits like MirrOlure's 51MR-808 and the TT-28 and 21 rigged with a Daiichi Bleeding Hook on the front. Most of the larger fish have been holding in 2 feet or less all day and the smaller fish have been caught on the outer edge of the flats. <br><br>Best chance<br><br>Fish inside of the schools of bait! There are slot sized reds all over the Indian River. Your not going to catch them if you don't get out on the water. Once the water drops below 68 degrees they will move into deeper holes and we won't see them on the flats till next spring, or the temp comes back up. <br><br>Between now and October 31 2001, if you book a trip with me and mention this report, I will drop my fee $50 on a full day trip booked before November 30 2001<br><br><br><br>See you on the water<br>Capt. Doug Blanton<br>Indian River Adventures<br>321-432-9470