Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morel hunting near Idaho Falls
Hey, Is there anyone on this board that likes to go morel hunting? I've tried it for the past two years without much luck. What is the best time of year to go? If you don't mind sharing, what general area would be a good place to start looking? Thanks for the help.[fishon]
[signature]
I do not know about Idaho Falls but in North Idaho they are at about the 1200 foot level right now. At least that is where a bunch were picked alst weekend. They do well in distrubed soil, like after a logging operation or a fire...
[signature]
Found the first ones last Tuesday here in the Boise area. Pigs Ears and Brains where doing good but the Morels are just starting here. We were at about 3600' elevation. Logging areas or fires as Mojo1 mentioned is a good place to start. I run up the hill till I see skunk cabbage that's about 6 -12" high and then start looking. Good luck to you!
[signature]
Thanks for the great tips! I've found a few small burn areas to go try, I'm not really sure how to find out where the logging operations are. I just wish the weather would warm up a little. It's still a bit too cold for mushrooms around here.
[signature]