Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowrance HDS or Elite?
Question: Are people still having problems with the HDS units that they were having a year ago? I don't want to deal with the software updates and other problems right out of the box.

Also curious if anyone using a model 5 thinks it's enough screen for them, or if they'd go bigger if they were to do it again?

Is anyone using the new Elite series? Looks like they have a lot of the same features I'm looking for at a lower price.

I DO NOT want to make this a debate about brands. Don't worry, I am keeping all options on the table (Humminbird etc...). Not worried about the side/bottom scan stuff right now.

Thanks for the feedback!!!
[signature]
Im not sure which 'problems' your talking about with the HDS. I know there was a problem with a batch of them last year that had seal problems. There was also Navionics issues with the first models, but that has been corrected. As far as my set up, two HDS5s with Stucture scan and a LMS527df. I will tell you that I spend alot of time using my electronics on the water and my electronics have helped me have 100+ walleye days and 15+ tiger musky days. That being said, I LOVE the HDS units. Let me give you some comparisons between the two (elite/HDS) that i feel are important in a fishfinder. First and formost is the built in broadband sounder in the HDS. The elite still has the 83/200khz capabilities but no broad band. Learning how to read and use the colorline on any unit is critical but especialy with the broad band. The broad band clearly defines transitions from hard bottom to soft bottom better than non broad band sounders (walleye love to hold those bottom transition points. Also, the target seperation on the broad band sounder is second only to the down scan. It is very easy to distinguish fish from the bottom or fish in weeds. You will not find these capabilities in any other souders(sorry, had to throw my shot in at the humminturd guys[laugh]). One advantage of broad band is the ability to sound at high speeds. I can mark fish at 47mph and get a GOOD readable picture at 35mph with the HDS.

As with just about any computer aged thing these days, updates are inevitable. My LMS527 was just what i wanted a few years ago, then I found out lowrance had some updates done to fix some problems (none of wich they listed i had). So I downloaded the updates, and to my suprise, they added ALOT of features to the software that made the unit that much better than the original software. The finder has MORE usful features than when I bought it, which I think is good to get more than what you paid for. And I have updated the HDS units also (had to for the use of structure scan) and that has put more features on then when I bought it. So dont think having to download stuff is all that bad, it can be quite useful.

One other huge advantage of the HDS over the elite series is the network abilities. I have all of my units networked together through the ethernet cables and i can see any transduecer from any screen on the system. Also, when i mark a waypoint on one unit, it is trasfered to the other units. And, if you buy an elite series, you will never be able to upgrade to the structure scan. Buy an HDS now, spend a 150 bucks more now, then when your ready you can spend 600 buck on structure scan vs 1300 bucks to buy an HDS and stucrure scan.

As far as screen size, I would love to have an HDS10 but..... my blue collar job only alows for a few toys. The screen on the HDS and the elite are very detailed and easy to read even with a 5 inch screen. Some of the very useful features they share are... Both have the trackback feature to rewind your sonar and gps screen to mark a waypoint on fish you may have seen a ways back, also, both share the duel frequency transduecer set up to give a wider angle and eliminate interference when using two finders or fishing close to some one else on the same frequecy. I know you said you dont care about the structure scan right now.... but, after using it first hand I can tell you this will help put alot more fish in the boat. One example is out on Willard this last weekend, using the sructure scan i found a rocky break about 90' to the right side of the boat that had 6 fish (yes, it is detailed enough to COUNT the fish) laying on it right off the bottom. I used the curser to mark a way point right on them then drove over there and pounded two wiper out of the school. I kept seeing the other four down there but they wouldnt eat. Now, with the strait down sonar, i would have never seen those fish and never caught them, so it realy has its advantages.

Hope this helps!!
[signature]
+1

Very well said Mike.

I use the HDS5 and am very impressed with it.
[signature]
Thanks guys. And thanks mike4cobra for taking the time to answer my questions in such detail. I think you answered about every question I could ever have. I've been racking my brain over this and this feedback really helps! Thanks again.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Thank you for that very detailed write up about the HDS stuff. I'm waiting for them to go on sale this spring to get mine. I'll be using my Cabelas points to help with the cost.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Which mapping package do you have, if any? I'm leaning toward the Insight package on the recommendation of a friend in Wyoming.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Well, quit waiting and start buying! I just checked cabelas and they are 50 bucks off right now. Thats the same deal I bought one of mine on (plus the 75 off they had in the catalog, and free shipping). I opted out on the Insight mapping on mine because I already had a couple of Navionics west chips. When I checked Insights map coverage of Utah and the surrounding states it wasnt much different than the Navionics cards I have now.

A couple of points to make though, I cant record my sonar log and have my contour maps going at the same time (only one SD card slot). If I would have got the units with the insight then I could have the map up at the same time Im recording the sonar. So... I have to have both units on and I have the recording sd card in the one im not using and the map card in the one Im looking at, kind of a pain. If you dont have any mapping cards right now, then it is definately worth the 50 bucks to get Insight.

The only problem with both of the mapping selections Ive talked about is their coverage of Utah sucks. Now your friend in Wyoming has quite a few lakes covered and a bunch in high definition. Evan some of the lakes they claim to have in Utah are worthless. Navionics and I think Insight have the same worthless map of Pineview, one 16ft contour line around the whole lake. Take a look at Washington once, hell, I think they cover a few peoples swimming pool in their list. But, Utahs map sucks. But I suggest everone who reads this go to Navionics sight, they have an area on there that you can list your favorite lake(s) for them to consider adding to their list. If we get enough votes in Utah maybe they will start adding more of our waters. [cool]
[signature]
Hey Bob,
I'm not sure you want to trade in your old finder but Reeds is paying for your old one if you buy from them. Here is a link to the ad: [url "http://www.reedssports.com/"]http://www.reedssports.com/[/url]
[signature]
I just acquired 2 HDS 7's. However, neither one came with a transducer. But I did get the LSS1 structure scan unit with them. A couple of questions: Where did you install the structure scan transducer on your boat? I assume you can network both units in the structure scan module, but does this network the units so when a waypoint is punched it is recorded on both units? And will my 532c transducer work with my HDS for regular use?
[signature]
I apologize for the late response on this as I thought this thread was dead. Being that you asked close to a month ago I imagine you have set up everything already, but I will answer your questions anyways. I have added a 3rd HDS since this thread was started, thus fully utilizing the full ethernet capabilities ot the system. Here what I got.

I installed the structure scan transducer about 3 inches away from my primary skimmer transducer. I have it mounted as a skimmer, it will read up to 20mph. I didnt want to have to slow down to an idle just to use the structure scan. Also, mounting it so close to the primary 200k transducer make full use of the structure/sonar overlay feature.

When you network both units through the structure scan box using the yellow ethernet cables they share waypoints. If you mark a waypoint on one it will show on the other. The nice thing is that if one is off and you mark a waypoint, it will update the other one when you turn it on (both have to be on for full updates). Also, when you make a change (such as name or location) of a waypoint that also will be updated on the other. They, however, can not share trails.

The transducer from your 532c is the same one that comes with the HDSs. Even though your 532c was only 200k, the HDS broadband software makes it run at either 200k or 83k. Since your are going to be connected via ethernet, you only have to run one transducer. Each HDS will share sonar data between each other (up to 3 head units). I have a seperate transducer for each of my 3. I can look at either one from any where in the boat. I can see the stern ducer from the bow or the bow from the dash or any combination. The nice thing about that is if you have one of the ducers crap out while fishing, a few pushs of some buttons and your back in business.

Hope that helps!
[signature]