Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gunnison and Colorado rivers
Ok want to fish the two rivers there in Grand Junction Colorado. What am I looking at fish, bait, and access wise?
[signature]
I don't know either well that far downstream. I would inquire in the local sporting goods stores, especially Gene Taylor's.
[signature]
Ok, I am trying to get a fly box put together and what would be some good flys for the area? I know I need some dries, streamers and nymphs. Just wondering where to start?
[signature]
copper johns, bead heads, all smaller, but not as small as the stuff i always reccomend.... a 16 to 18 should work fairly well for you... egg patterns, below the dams on that side of the divide TINY TINY TINY mysis shrimp.
[signature]
Dries- Elk hair caddis, stimulators, Adams, Irresistibles, BWOs, Royal Wulffs, Humpies -- sizes 12 - 18 generally. Maybe some large adult stonefly patterns, depending on where you're fishing.

Nymphs - Stoneflies (talk to local shops about color and size for the particular stream). Other patterns can be with or without bead heads and in sizes from 10 or 12 down to 18 or 20, but 14-18 is usually a good place to start. They would include pheasant tails, caddis patterns ( ilike the Colorado caddis over there). prince, gold ribbed hare's ear, prince, copper john, bitch creek, gray ugly, and RS2 for a starter selection.

Streamers - Wooly buggers in black and olive, Marabou muddlers, bunny flies and coneheads in both light and dark colors will give you a good start. Those rivers have some big fish, so don't be afraid to go big.

Hope that helps.
[signature]
Thanks, this will help a lot.
[signature]
Stopped in at Gene Taylors today and they were not much help. I did get a few flies though off your list. Now what is a colorado caddis?
[signature]
Just a simple nymph - cream dubbing for the body, lacquered goose quill for the back, and soft, short black hackle wound a couple of times at the head, then whip finished.

Any caddis nymph should do. I just like that one over there.

It's that old dogs-new tricks thing.
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]