Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake Independence
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I want to get some information on lake independence in the UP. I live down in Ohio, but a buddy of mine and I have been coming up north every year for the last fifteen years. We normally fished the Alpena area, but want to try a less fished lake this year. We have never been to this area, but have booked a cabin on lake Independence and we are going to give the area a try. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
Lake Independence is 1,860 acres (7.5 km2) and reaches a depth of 30 feet. It contains many species of fish, including black crappie, bluegill, brown trout, cisco, northern pike, rock bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, white sucker, and yellow perch.
The lake can be accessed by county roads 550 and 552. Its recreational uses include swimming and fishing.
If you head out from the perkins county park on county road 550 head out a 1/3 of the lakes distance then go about 125 yards south and you will find the two deep holes in the lake , they aren't that big but jigging here is excelent .
There is a bay directly south of the park , it has a deep hole in the center of it and man it produces some fish !
I usually troll between 100 and 150 yards out from the shore for pike , still fish and jig for eyes at the firts holes for eyes .
The S.E corner of the lake is a pretty good spot for eyes too .
If you get a few windy days there is a small dam up on the north east corner of the lake that empties into a river , fish that spot at least once on the trip .
Good luck to you !
[signature]