Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wiggins lake , gladwin , mi.
one of the neighbors from down state was at his cabin , said he wanted to do some fishing . so i took him over to the hunny hole .

after his first couple dozen gills all in the 7"+ range in the first half hour , well the guy was estatic ! when he started catching smallies all around 15" or better , well he just couldn't bare to leave . then when that big old brown started slapping the topwater , well this became his favorite spot too .

he's going back tomorow , that slick old brown trout done hooked him another fisherman ! lol !

as we were leaving , there were several familys arriving for some catfish fun at the launch , one family guy asked where we got the bass at , told him and he said the people from the lake that stoped earlier said nobody was allowed to fish the bottom . i set the guy strait about what thoes people were up to before we left .
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=412;]
[signature]
wiggins lake is northwest of gladwin city , go west of gladwin on 61 to chapel dam rd. then go north to pratt lake road , go west amile to wiggins lake road and turn left , follow that road to the end for the public boat launch .

wiggins lake is a 345 acre lake that is aproximatley 25' deep , fish that can be found there are ; black crappie , sunfish , bluegills , yellow perch . madtoms , yellow , brown and black bullheads , white bass , smallmouth and largemouth bass , northern pike , channel cat , walleye , rockbass , browntrout .

the pike is eceptionally best during ice fishing season ! the lake is heavely populated and has a homeowners association that "watches" it , please treat the area as if it were your own and clean your area after fishing also protect your fishing rights there , it's just as much your lake as the people that live around the lake .
[signature]
i took met our hi-low driver from work at the boat launch on saturday and took him to the honey hole .

waiting for him was that old big brown .

ten minutes after we arived and started to fish ther came this thunderous splash on the water , bill being a quiet man just looked over at me and asked , " ten or twelve pounds ?"

"nope" , i said , " more like fifteen ".

"brown ?" he asked , " yep ", i said .

i think he spent the rest of the afternoon and evening throwing every mepps , hulla popper , jitter-bug , spoon, and any other lure he had in that big old tackle box he luged down there .i just stood there putting my gills on the stringer , with a hidden Smile on my face .

that brown had clamed himself another fisherman .

today at work one of the mechanics heard the story of the big bad brown , he is going there tonight . yes i had another grin , this guy dosen't know what he's getting into . another knotch on that underwater log that the brown keeps his score on.

any other takers out there ?
[signature]
[size 1]Gladwin , Wiggins Lake , 11-11-03[/size]

[font "verdana, arial, helvetica"][size 2]AS MOST PEOPLE IN MY AREA ARE DOING THERE FINAL PREPORATIONS FOR OUR NOVEMBER 15 th OPENER OF RIFLE SEASON HERE IN MICHIGAN , FEW ANGLERS WERE OUT FISHING .
I MYSELF HAVE MAINTAINED AN AREA FOR THE BIG DAY AND CAN AFFORD TO SPEND THE FEW HOURS BEFORE DUSK HITS FISHING .
TONIGHT I WENT TO MY HONEY HOLE BELOW WIGGING LAKE DAM SPILLWAY ARMED WITH A DOSEN MINNOWS , AND WITH THE DETERMINATION NEEDED TO PUT UP WITH THE CHILLED WATER THAT LEAKS THRU MY WADERS .
MY FIRST DISCOVERY WAS THAT I GRABED THE WRONG FISHING VEST . FLYS , TIPETS , DRESSINGS AND MOSQUITO REPELENT .
NOT A SPECK OF LEAD OR A SUTIBLE HOOK .
ON WENT A FLY WITH A MINNOW AS AN ATTRACTOR , A DINNER AND DESERT FOR SOME HUNGRY FISH I THOUGHT .
TWO HOURS PASSED , ZIP ZERO , NADDA !
AS SOON AS THE SUN DIPPED BELOW THE HORIZON , WHAM !
GOOD OL' MARBLE EYES ! JUDGING FROM THE HIT I GUESSED HIM AT ABOUT 4 LBS. BOY WAS I WRONG !
I FORGOT TO TAKE THE WATERS TEMPRATURE INTO CONCIDERATION , HE WAS LATHARGIC AT FIRST BUT AS SOON AS MY HEAD LIGHT HIT HIM HE TURNED INTO A FREIGHT TRAIN .
HIS HEAD WAS AS BIG AS A SOFTBALL , ONE TURN AND THE REEL STARTED SCREAMING , THAT WAS THE BEGINING OF A TEN MINUTE BATTLE AND THE LAST LOOK I HAD OF THE BEAST . MY 6 lb.TEST WAS NO MATCH FOR THE ROCKS HE TRAVELED THRU .
BITES ARE A LITTLE HARDER TO COME BY THIS PERIOD OF THE TRANSITION STAGE BETWEEN THE FALL SPAWNING RUNS AND HARD WATTER , BUT THERE WELL WORTH THE PATIENCE IT TAKES TO GET THE BIG TROPHYS THAT NEED THE EXTRA NOURISHMENT NEEDED TO SUSTAIN THEM THRU THE LONG WINTER MONTHS .[/size][/font]
[signature]
zan't stay on , were getting hammered by t-storms right now .

cought a muskey 1/4" short of being a keeper [mad] . see ya tomorow !
[signature]
Wiggins Lake , pike and bluegill .
[signature]