Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked Fish
Well I finally had to pull my secret recipe out and blend up some more rub. I've threatened to post it before but just never got around to it. So since its out I thought I'd post it. And with the salmon season rolling along maybe it will be useful to someone.

Basic Dry Rub:
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Kosher salt - course
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns

Grind together until a powder. Food processor works great for this. Put in a shaker bottle and that's it.

To smoke:
Fillet fish and remove rib bones.
Wash and pat dry, arrange on racks, let dry an hour or so.
Shake rub on fillets, nice even coat (you'll learn what works for you)
Let stand 1-2 hrs, it will pull the moisture out of the fillets, let dry again.
Smoke

I usually burn 2 pans (sometimes 3) of cherry, apple or alder. Just depends what you like.

Play with it and fine tune it to your liking, like dusting with brown sugar during the last hour in the smoking or whatever you like.

I started using this rub several years ago after just getting tired of using brines. It's quick and easy and make some of the best smoked fish I've had. And I've had a lot!!! However, small bullheads and whitefish I still use a brine on. Just a simple salt water brine, enough salt to float an egg in.

I'd like to hear other ideas or give me some feedback.

Enjoy!

Rod
[signature]
that sounds good I will need to get my smoker going
[signature]
So I gave I a try today with the fish I got at Henry's yesterday. By the time I let some people try it to see if they liked it I only got a small piece for my self. I guess I'll have to go get me some more fish. [Smile]
[signature]
it's addicting [Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
I took some of the smoked fish I did this week with me to work today and got a very similar reaction. I don't think I've seen fish dissapear that fast out of water before! I'm already stoked to start smoking more of it. Definitely addicting like Avery said
[signature]