Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never lake fished before, looking for advice
Im going camping over 4th of July weekend @ Big Lake in the White Mountains of AZ. I have heard there is really good trout fishing in these mountains.

I would like to give lake fishing a try as I usually just fish small streams using small spinners and salmon eggs but have no idea where to start on how to fish a lake, what to use (type, size, etc), what depth, etc.

I have fished from banks of lakes but am planning on renting a small power boat for fun to try my hand at lake fishing.

Any advice on basic setups I should be using and the correct way to fish a lake? I would even be interested in any books you think may be useful. Hopefully my first lake fishing experience will be a good one, if not, there are many streams nearby Wink. Thanks for any help.
[signature]
I have never fished the lake in question, but since you asked for recommendations of books I thought I would share.
I have a book I bought on line called Ultimate Freshwater Fishing by John Bailey that has been very useful to me in situations where I have never been before. It has an overview of almost any freshwater fishing you can imagine. It does not go into depth on any one thing, but is thorough enough to help a lot. It also has a lot of color photos and drawings to show habitat and such.
Another book I use a lot is Freshwater Fishing Tips and Techniques by Gene Kugach. If I had to choose between the two I would choose this one. Although the book by Bailey has a lot more color and polish the book by Kugach is more basic and shows a lot of the lures/baits to use. It is more like having your Uncle Bob show you how to fish.
I also have a very useful book called Washington Fishing by Terry Rudnic which is part of the Foghorn Outdoors series. I am not sure if there are books in the series for all states, but it goes through county by county and gives some basic information about each body of water. It is helpful in exploring new water near by.
I hope I have helped a bit...good luck to you!
[signature]
okay well I have a roomy that has fished it so hear it goes lol
if you fish on a boat you want to look in to a "cow bells" rig w/ night crawlers

if by shore you want to use a trout rig for wight you want to use 1-1/2 oz and you want to use yellow corn and blue and orange twist and rain bow

link to the cowbell rig
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0011729110979a.shtml
[signature]
Well I don't know the area you will be fishing but since you are going for trout they all like to act the same. Early morning and evening you will see them hit the surface chasing flies. Try rigging a fly and a bubble. First fill a clear bubble with water threat it on your line. Then place a size 7, yes you heard me a size 7 swivel on your line. This will keep the swivel from climbing into the center of the bubble. Then take about 6 feet of leader line. I use 8 lb test on my reel and 6 lb test as leader. Attach the leader to the swivel and then attach a fly. Good flies to use are woolly buggers, caddis, royal caochman, royal wullf, mosquitos, and duns. Check with a local fly shop for other patterns to try. I also use spoons with the trout. Attach these directly to a smaller snap swivel like a 10 or 12. The colors I use are fire orange with white stripe (rainbow plastics brand), red with white stripe. These are good colors and trout like them. You can also hook up a spinner as well. Hope this helps!
[signature]