Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is the fishing
We are at mid summer as of today.This is usualy the slow time of the summer.The slump between spring spawn and the fall feeding frenzy.Let me know how your fishing is going and what techniques you are using to beat the heat.

[Wink] Maybe we can all learn something from others.[Smile]
[signature]
Well here in Souteast Texas (Sabine Pass and Port Arthur area) We have found that this is the best time to fish around here. Last summer on the last day of August we limited out on redfish 2 days in a row. Seems like it really starts picking up end of July beginning of Aug. Just depends on where you go though. We caught 3 redfish last weekend smallest was 38". What part of Texas are you at? and how is the fishing?

Renee'
[signature]
I live near and fish South Padre Island, lower laguna madre area.I seems the last few weeks have slowed around here.But starting soon through late fall usualy goes wide open here.The reds come into the bay and surf and the flounder starts leaving the backwater and can be caught in and around mouths, channels, and intlets to backwater ares.The specks get fired up too.Pampano get thick in the surf along with kings and spanish macs.The tarpon have been showing up from time to time all summer but realy come through in the fall.Although I have yet to catch one.I am land and wade fisherman and probaly miss out on a lot not having a boat.
[signature]
I know what you mean about the boat thing. We just bought one. It's a 14' aluminum boat no motor but we already have one we are buying for a good price. We got the boat for $100. We are looking forward to getting out and catching boats full. [cool] But we have been wade and dock fishing for 3 years.. Good luck!! Will let you know how it's going ..

Renee'
[signature]
I have the same deal. i have a 14 foot xtra wide flat bottom. its rated for a 30 hp. ive been looking for a 25 to 35 hp for some time now.So far all of the ones I can find are realy old are just to pricey.
[signature]
I have spent about thiryfive years of my life bass fishing.It took me a long time to get out of the bank pounding habit in the summer. Although Early morning fishing with top water plugs, in close proximity of the bank, can be killer. The bass are very catchable on deep water structure in the heat of summer.It just takes a lot of practice locating and catching these fish..I call these fish " lemon aide bass " because you need a good deep water hump, an ubrella or big staw hat, and a jug of cold lemon aide, and a little patiants.

And don't forget those deep water haunts early in the morning.Fish seem to get hungry just as the sun starts to rise, no matter where they are.Iv'e caught some good one's in 20+' water right at daybreak too.

So find your self a nice main lake point, preferbly with some weedbeds and/on wood, and fish it at first light.Then as the heat and the sun rises and the bite slows, back off to the nearest drop,hump,or piece of deep water stucture/cover , and fish it. Many times the action keeps on coming.

When it gets real hot outside, we all want a nice cool, quiet place to relax. Big bass are the same.A deep mainlake hump, away from the noisy boat traffic, is a good spot to slow work plastics and jigs for the big boys.

Try these this summer and see if your luck improoves.
[signature]