Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so cal leopard fishing locations
[size 2]ive been trying o find a good location o fish for these guys over the years, but ive had no luck finding a local one. i live in orange county. ive heard some of the beachs in oceanside are havin some good shark fishing. ive been out to dana pint a coulpe time and have caught several smaller sharks, but no big ones to date. has anyone had any luck on legal sized sharks there. if so which section of the beach do you fish and what bait do you use. ive been useing cut mackerel, squid, sardines, and live baits. ive heard midshipmen are a good leopard shark bait, but i dont know wee to obtain them. any help would greatly appreciated.

good luck on the water,
nick[/size][size 1] [/size]
[signature]

Hi there Trout_Guy,

Leopard Sharks are abundant up and down the area near where you live. There are quite a few reports of them being just a little north of Dana Point in the shallows. Malaca Bay in LA County, Corona Del Mar State Beach in Orange County, and Off the Marine Room in San Diego County spots you can pretty much count on their being around.

I have seen lots of them in shallow waters here in LA waters too in late spring and summer. The critters are very timid and scare away very easily. Being shallow water bottom feeders, they often cruise from the water line to a depth of around 30 feet or so in my experience. They aren't solitary and you may find a number of them in a pod.

I think your best bet would be to visit some of the tackle and bait shops 'on the beach' for the latest info on recent catches. There are a number of shops that cater to the shark fisherman also so that might be a resource.

With that, please give us a report on the how, when, where, and what of your trip. Oh Ya, we welcome info whether you caught fish or a cold.

The Japanese name for this shark is Itachizame. Same is Shark changed to zame. Itachi means Weasel. Why that name? Who knows! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]