Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Proud!!
[laugh] I want to start by saying what a wonderful site this is and want to thank everyone for there great advice and answers to our questions. It has been so helpful! But know I want to brag for a bit. Our 7 year old son has become addicted to fishing. He has outfished us both in the past 3 weekends. Catching 4 gar, a large gaftop, and 2 drum. His very first fish was a flounder. The one he hasn't caught yet which he is still hoping for is a redfish. But last weekend he caught a 12 lb. 18" Jack Cravel. A fish which my husband said is usually only caught offshore. Needless to say he was thrilled and hasn't stopped talking about it yet! We have decided not to take him fishing with us anymore... haha! Anyway, good luck to all the fisherman (and women) out there.. as fishing "season" here is almost over [Sad] for salt water anyway. Usually slows down alot come late September. Just wanted to brag on our little one! Thanks again for everything.. and remember.. Life Is Short... Fish Hard!!!

Thanks a bunch,

Richard and Renee'
[signature]
I catch a lot of jacks down here SPI in the ship canal and in the surf.They are hard fighters.Keep that boy fishing.It may stick with him the rest of his life.I guess the good thing about living down here near SPI is that fishing season is never over.The species might change a little but there is always plenty of fish to be caught. Year round.

[Image: 003840.gif]
[signature]
[cool] Thanks so much for the picture! We were wondering.. do you know anything about the Jack Cravel being eatable? We talked to someone that said that if you don't bleed them as soon as they are caught they aren't any good. Let me know if you know anything about that.

Thanks!

Renee'
[signature]
I find a jack is a great catch as the fight will definatly give you a great feeling to land one. I personaly catch and release them as the best way to eat them is smoked. I also have heard that bleeding is recomended to asure best taste. Hope this helps you out.

Here is info posted through a Fish ID site in Florida to give you a little more detail about them.

Creuvalle Jack

Average Size - 5lbs.
Largest Caught - 50lbs.
Found - Inshore and offshore
Best Baits - Live or dead bait feathers or spoons
Edibility - Poor although very good if smoked
[signature]
Hey fishfinatic,

i have not ate one.I have thought about it due to the size of some of the mosters i catch. I have heard the same thing about them. They are a very bloody fish and need to be blead.Hang them up by the head and cut the base of the tail to drain the blood.I have heard they tast like iodine if you don't.They also make good shark bait. Cut slices in their sides and rig with some big circle hooks. They put off a good strong blood trail for sharks to hone in on.Good luck.
[signature]