Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prop Help
I have a 2006 Mercury 115 hp efi outboard on a lund 1700 fisherman. My question is what size prop should I be running on that motor. I bought the boat and motor from a guy in Colorado. It had a 14X13P on it but with four people in the boat it won't come on plane. So I bought a 13 3/4X15P it seems to come on plane better with only two people in the boat. I went to fishlake last week and the boat was slow to plane. So I changed the prop back to the14X13P seems alittle better. still with only two people in the boat. WHAT PROP DO I NEED SO THE BOAT WILL PLANE WITH AT LEAST FOUR PEOPLE?
Thanks Jim
[signature]
Not trying to be a wise guy but are you adjusting your trim? I have a 115 18.5 ft starcraft fiberglass hull which is heavy and it planes easily with 5. It is not stored here or I'd give you the prop info but I just dont know it. Sounds strange to me that you'd have issues with what the factory had on it let alone a stainless prop.
[signature]
Trim is all the way down. Where should it be?
[signature]
[#804000][size 2]Before you buy and try a bunch of props.....Go over to Lee's Marine in Hyrum and talk to him about your problem.[/size][/#804000]
[signature]
I don't know that I'm doing this right but I start out with mine down all the way and increase the trim as I'm going until I'm planed out.
[signature]
I have a 1999 Lund 17 ft Fisherman. Came with a 21P mph prop, planes fast with four and goes about 40 (depending on lake) at 5200 rpm
[signature]
Sorry, has a Mercury 115
[signature]
start out with the trim all the way down as boat starts to build rpm trim up slowley. try this before you spend moore money on props. [Wink] also if you have 4 persons aboard put 2 up front until it starts to pick up the rpm then have the 2 move back. seen it in chucks boat as well as my own.
[signature]
If you're leaving it all the way down I'm sure you will be quite surprised in a good way the next time you take it out and adjust it.
[signature]
First off you should buy a stainless prop. Second get one with or have pvs ports drilled into it.

pvs ports allow exhaust to escape and disturb the water around the prop allowing it to spin up to a higher rpm resulting in faster planing, it also allows you to run the maximum pitch for best top end speed.

Lees marine in hyrum will know what you need
[signature]
[#000050]Mostly good advice below. One thing to remember is that Fish Lake is 8800' and most boats are slow to plane at that altitude.[/#000050]
[signature]
Did adjusting the trim work?
[signature]
An outboards performance is based solely on how many RPMs it can achieve at wide open throttle with a normal load with the engine trimmed up. trim it to where the boat runs flat without porpoising. that engine is probably rated at max rpm of 6000 rpms if you are not getting close to that you need to decrease the pitch size of your prop if you are over that increase your pitch size. The closer you are to 6000 rpms the better the boat will come out of the hole. 4 stroke engines struggle to get on plane if you are not close to max rpms at wide open throttle. Hope this helps.
[signature]